I think I destroyed my Steering Rack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarshMarlowe

Reaction score
I replaced inner tie rods on both sides today. I REALLY had to put a lot of effort into breaking free the inner tie rod mounts. I'm guessing that destroyed the rack. Maybe I was supposed to use a backup wrench. When I started the truck, what I'm pretty sure is power steering fluid sprayed forcefully all over the floor, the underside of the engine, even up onto the bottom of the open hood. It was dramatic

Is this for sure my power steering rack failing? Are the reman units on RockAuto worthwhile?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20220903_202628.jpg
    20220903_202628.jpg
    436.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 20220903_202606.jpg
    20220903_202606.jpg
    437.1 KB · Views: 20

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced inner tie rods on both sides today. I REALLY had to put a lot of effort into breaking free the inner tie rod mounts. I'm guessing that destroyed the rack. Maybe I was supposed to use a backup wrench. When I started the truck, what I'm pretty sure is power steering fluid sprayed forcefully all over the floor, the underside of the engine, even up onto the bottom of the open hood. It was dramatic

Is this for sure my power steering rack failing? Are the reman units on RockAuto worthwhile?

Thanks
Yikes! Yes, I just installed one from Rockauto and it’s fine so far.

OP
OP
MarshMarlowe

MarshMarlowe

Reaction score
Where is the fluid coming from?
Hard to say for sure as I didn't witness it. I will have to crawl back under the truck, but it's a big mess under there. I needed 3 bath towels to clean up all the fluid.

I noticed the boot on the driver's side is soaked, and the tie strap blew off that boot common to the rack. The clues I have point to the rack. I'll have to do more investigating. I went ahead and ordered a new rack from RockAuto as they only had one reman AC Delco unit in stock. See photos

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220904-103955_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220904-103955_Gallery.jpg
    827.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220903_202631.jpg
    20220903_202631.jpg
    458.7 KB · Views: 12

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hard to say for sure as I didn't witness it. I will have to crawl back under the truck, but it's a big mess under there. I needed 3 bath towels to clean up all the fluid.

I noticed the boot on the driver's side is soaked, and the tie strap blew off that boot common to the rack. The clues I have point to the rack. I'll have to do more investigating. I went ahead and ordered a new rack from RockAuto as they only had one reman AC Delco unit in stock. See photos
One good thing about those parts with fluid all over them, they will never rust.

OP
OP
MarshMarlowe

MarshMarlowe

Reaction score
Well I feel like an idiot

The old oil filter gasket stuck around, and I installed the new filter on top of it

The 'fluid' that sprayed actually came from the oil filter.

Note- fresh oil smells and looks a lot like power steering fluid

Derp