I put ZR2 shocks on my Yukon - need advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oh Kee Pah

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same thoughts. The Rough Country Vertex product is VERY tempting. I mean, a RR coil-over with ride height increase for a bit more than Fox's 2.0s, right?

After several weeks of going back and forth and speaking with a few 4x4 shops around...took my own advice.
I went with my 3rd set of Fox 2.0 IFPs. Still happy. If I had more money in the budget than I would have certainly gone for the Fox 2.0s with remote reservoir and DSC. They're about $1600-1800 directly through BDS suspension. The difference in price of the 2.0 IFPs vs RR coil-overs covered nearly 6 hrs of install cost. Fair trade-off for me.

BTW - IMO the Rough Country products are not very high quality and for the base of your suspension, probably better to not mess around and go with the tried and tested brand.
Although I have to admit, I think the RC Vertex RR coil-overs would look really, really good on our rigs, especially black paint. I saw a Silverado 1500 lifted couple weeks ago at the Chevy service center with the RC Vertex on. Looked slick, really slick. Plus, there are a fair amount of nice aftermarket products for us that come powder coated red, so the black/red color combo is something that one could easily go a little crazy with :)

FYI - I was running a 33" tire on my Fox 2.0 IFPs and OE wheels. No rub.

OP
OP
F

Favored

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Fox 2.0’s are ordered. Thank you guys for y’all’s feedback and help! Looks like I’ll have some ZR2 fronts up for sale soon.

jd08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fox 2.0’s are ordered. Thank you guys for y’all’s feedback and help! Looks like I’ll have some ZR2 fronts up for sale soon.

I am interested in them. PM me a price shipped to 53012.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will admit, im not fully up on the specs of these zr2 shocks. But, arnt they electronically controlled by the trucks computer as far as dampening goes? Meaning, the truck changes the dampening as it see’s fit? If so, if you dont have the programming for that, which a yukon denali certainly dosnt, isnt it possible the shocks are dampened to their stiffest setting thus giving you minimal travel and a stiff ride? Just spitballing here…

Dropping the lower control arms would surely help at getting back your proper angles/alignment, and is highly recommended at that height, however it would still ride stiff given the current situation, if that makes sense.

stab6902

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I will admit, im not fully up on the specs of these zr2 shocks. But, arnt they electronically controlled by the trucks computer as far as dampening goes? Meaning, the truck changes the dampening as it see’s fit? If so, if you dont have the programming for that, which a yukon denali certainly dosnt, isnt it possible the shocks are dampened to their stiffest setting thus giving you minimal travel and a stiff ride? Just spitballing here…

Dropping the lower control arms would surely help at getting back your proper angles/alignment, and is highly recommended at that height, however it would still ride stiff given the current situation, if that makes sense.
The ZR2 shocks do not use any electronics. They're unique in that they use spool valves rather than deflective disks to control damping.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ZR2 shocks do not use any electronics. They're unique in that they use spool valves rather than deflective disks to control damping.
Well gotchya, thanks for the info. Surprised they didnt compress more then for the OP…cant imagine the denali weights much less at all. Very odd.

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve played with multimatics for a while.

I could go into tons of details. I know the guys at Gm behind the programs.

I have played with colorado zr2 and gmpp and Silverado zr2 shocks.

I run them on my trailer now. I run ads shocks on my vehicles

4E2098C2-ED3C-4600-8940-617407BB0422.jpeg

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shaft strength, overheating issues, oil leaks.

IMG_0727.jpeg

stab6902

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’ve played with multimatics for a while.

I could go into tons of details. I know the guys at Gm behind the programs.

I have played with colorado zr2 and gmpp and Silverado zr2 shocks.

I run them on my trailer now. I run ads shocks on my vehicles

View attachment 411445
Are those Colorado shocks on a K2 Yukon? Did you have Multimatics on the front as well?

Can you please go into some detail on how you like them for the street and light off roading?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan