I need sone help on a 98 Tahoe......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CWB2316

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi y'all. So I've got a 98 Tahoe 4x4 5.7. Trucks died on me while driving. Its done it a couple of times before but always started back up. Not this time. The truck isnt getting a spark. Its cranking but not starting. So a buddy helped out and we changed the plugs, wires, ignition coil, fuel filter and crankshaft sensor. We checking and the ignition control module has power. And the distributor and rotor appear to be fine without damage. What's my problem and where do I look next?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Why change all that without changing the well known problem area of the cap and rotor?

Just for giggles, did you actually check for fuel pressure or did you assume the fuel pressure is there because you said you have no spark? Again, just curious.

OP
OP
C

CWB2316

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Why change all that without changing the well known problem area of the cap and rotor?

Just for giggles, did you actually check for fuel pressure or did you assume the fuel pressure is there because you said you have no spark? Again, just curious.
I didn't change it just because it seemed good from the looks of it.
As for the pressure, no I didn't even check it. I figured that since there was no spark that it wouldn't be an issue to check. I'm not too mechanically savvy. But here's a dumb question. Is it known to not start if I dine see a spark but the pressure is low or off?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Like @bsamole said, replace that cam sensor. I would always do the cam and crank sensors in pairs. Just like I would always do the plug wires and cap/rotor at same time.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with all the above. Cam position sensors were known to go bad on those trucks. Also, the cap and rotors have had their ups and downs over the years for reliability. My guess is when you remove it you're going to find evidence of electrical tracking to ground (look for fuzz on the metal parts, off colored areas, etc.) Like @OR VietVet said, go after those 2 items and then check fuel pressure.

You could try unplugging the cam sensor and see if it fires since you have a new crank sensor. Some of the older vehicles would allow for a base map run (think safe mode) if certain sensors were unplugged. It may work, but I don't remember exactly what the outcome was for that one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne