I need my 01 Yukon xL 5.3 louder but not ear piercing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so I’m on a quest for more exhaust noise but no exhaust ticket my gmc is simply not loud enough does anyone have a aftermarket muffler they’ve installed to be louder but nothing crazy?

OP
OP
LordWayback

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can barely hear my 5.3 running which if you’re into being a soccer mom it’s perfect but if you like hearing the noise it makes when you mash the pedal it simply won’t do unless it’s a really cold morning my truck doesn’t really make noise even with a exhaust leak by headers

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been pretty happy with an 18” magnaflow in place of the gigantic factory muffler. The resonator has also been removed, and a Helmholtz resonator was installed, to tune out the drone around 2k rpm. When I installed the ARH longtubes, there was not a significant difference in volume, but once the muffler was replaced, that made all the difference. That was on an essentially factory engine, and since doing the heads and cam, the sound is MUCH louder and different.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I’ve been pretty happy with an 18” magnaflow in place of the gigantic factory muffler. The resonator has also been removed, and a Helmholtz resonator was installed, to tune out the drone around 2k rpm. When I installed the ARH longtubes, there was not a significant difference in volume, but once the muffler was replaced, that made all the difference. That was on an essentially factory engine, and since doing the heads and cam, the sound is MUCH louder and different.

I can vouch for the veracity of these statements. :D

OP
OP
LordWayback

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just need a muffler swap honestly California doesn’t like you touching anything I was thinking the ol cherry bomb but those are too loud for my purposes

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The PO installed Corsa Performance stainless cat-back system on my 04 5.3. LOVE IT!!!
A little grumbly and rough around the edges, but only in the way a great American V8 should be.
Step on it and it lets you know it is there, but tame on the highway.
Great sound on around town, not too loud.
It cackles a bit too, when the engine is raced up quick from idle.

Very happy with it. Especially, since it was not my money...

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
You can barely hear my 5.3 running which if you’re into being a soccer mom it’s perfect but if you like hearing the noise it makes when you mash the pedal it simply won’t do unless it’s a really cold morning my truck doesn’t really make noise even with a exhaust leak by headers
I got Longtubes and no cats with a x pipe to take away the popping frapping out the exhaust then running into duel flowmasters super 10s and 5” tips
Cruising it’s not super loud or idling but if I get on it or red line it then it’ll set off car alarms at the same time. I love it
On my Tahoe I’m doing the exact same setup but with 6” axle dumps and instead of super 10s ima try the borla atak mufflers as a couple buddy’s has them and they sound NASTY

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got Longtubes and no cats with a x pipe to take away the popping frapping out the exhaust then running into duel flowmasters super 10s and 5” tips
Cruising it’s not super loud or idling but if I get on it or red line it then it’ll set off car alarms at the same time. I love it
On my Tahoe I’m doing the exact same setup but with 6” axle dumps and instead of super 10s ima try the borla atak mufflers as a couple buddy’s has them and they sound NASTY
I'm shocked that can be done in CA... Especially, since they were the ones that started the toughest emissions requirements before anyone else.

I am in MA. We don't need to do emissions, but still not legal to remove federal emissions components (cats).
If I ran straight pipes and the inspector for the RMV happened to see a missing cat, I'd fail and probably get a fine.

But, no worries. I may be a bit jealous, but I am not a rat! - Enjoy!

OP
OP
LordWayback

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm shocked that can be done in CA... Especially, since they were the ones that started the toughest emissions requirements before anyone else.

I am in MA. We don't need to do emissions, but still not legal to remove federal emissions components (cats).
If I ran straight pipes and the inspector for the RMV happened to see a missing cat, I'd fail and probably get a fine.

But, no worries. I may be a bit jealous, but I am not a rat! - Enjoy!
I already had my straight pipe days to me now it’s not worth a ticket I just need to be louder especially with my subs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz