I need my 01 Yukon xL 5.3 louder but not ear piercing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
LordWayback

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pic from last night but I’m gonna end up going with this and if it’s too loud or quiet change it I’m gonna clamp it on and put a aftermarket 3” tailpipe so I can have a exhaust tip
329AA189-B252-4669-ADD3-D5C8C8B0D66B.png

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have one of these (single in, dual out) and it's a tad loud for me but not horrible. I'm 43 now and long gone are my 19 year old LS1 with headers/no cats/true duals. Went with it due to reports of no drone and can confirm. I may just get the larger 300 series and see.

Edit: Video of start/idle:

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pic from last night but I’m gonna end up going with this and if it’s too loud or quiet change it I’m gonna clamp it on and put a aftermarket 3” tailpipe so I can have a exhaust tip
A lot of folks run with those. Seem to be really popular. With it clamped in place, you could always get something else and sell off the Thrush on Craigslist, Ebay or Marketplace, if it is not right for you.

OP
OP
LordWayback

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A lot of folks run with those. Seem to be really popular. With it clamped in place, you could always get something else and sell off the Thrush on Craigslist, Ebay or Marketplace, if it is not right for you.
That’s why I wanted to clamp it eventually I wanted to weld it if it’ll weld I was gonna give the noise level a test spin and if it’s suitable and the wee woos don’t go off on me I’m gonna stick with it

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I ran straight pipes and the inspector for the RMV happened to see a missing cat, I'd fail and probably get a fine.
1. Open and hollow out a catalytic converter, or find one already hollowed out.
2. Stick straight pipe through hollowed catalytic converter body.
3. Close catalytic converter body around straight pipe.
4. No fail, no fine, Bob's your uncle.

Standard disclaimers apply - but it's a typical ploy that often works if the tuning is right.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
I'm shocked that can be done in CA... Especially, since they were the ones that started the toughest emissions requirements before anyone else.

I am in MA. We don't need to do emissions, but still not legal to remove federal emissions components (cats).
If I ran straight pipes and the inspector for the RMV happened to see a missing cat, I'd fail and probably get a fine.

But, no worries. I may be a bit jealous, but I am not a rat! - Enjoy!
All depends on who you know ;) plus you can always run some pipe through your stock cats or get a set of “dummy” cats just for looks. As long as they don’t break out the sniffer you’re good lol. Find you a mom and pop shop out in the sticks somewhere to get your inspection done.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All depends on who you know ;) plus you can always run some pipe through your stock cats or get a set of “dummy” cats just for looks. As long as they don’t break out the sniffer you’re good lol. Find you a mom and pop shop out in the sticks somewhere to get your inspection done.
State system priced a lot of mom & pop's out of business.
The ones who are left are scared rabbits... They had to buy multi-cam video systems that live feed to inspectors. I have heard they have jumped into the shop system by chat and asked for specific things to be re-checked, if it seemed like the shop might have "missed" something.

I wouldn't do anything that could get me in trouble anyway. I am more than happy with the Corsa performance cat-back just the way it is now. Love the sound!

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've run a lot of mufflers. Most of them on the market. For the price, and level of noise I like any more (not a lot, just enough) I really like the FlowMaster FlowFX series.

OP
OP
LordWayback

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m getting the muffler on Monday I’m gonna run a custom 3” exhaust post mufflerFCA2A4D5-B18D-44F4-850F-14A481F99FED.jpeg

OP
OP
LordWayback

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The most American I’ve ever felt was ignoring the exhaust modification in California illegal message pop up on summit I just clicked accept no cops gonna impound my truck unless it has a exhaust cutout or I’m street racing (rural California)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20