I need help please on abs- **SOLVED**

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lit549

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aight, i had this problem several months ago when it rained, now its back and even worse.
2005 tahoe, one day "service brake system" message came on and simultaneously the abs/brake lights illuminated, with warning chime and speedo goes haywire. It also wouldnt shift, i pulled over fir around 30 min and it made it home, i checked the grounds as recommended and it was fine, till yesterday. Its back and it will not shift out of 2nd, i replaced the speed sensor and looked over the abs module with no luck. Grounds are good, front speed sensors show signal when wheels turn, no chaffed wired, nothing i can see that is wrong. Any ideas?? Oh, and now the engine light came on after driving 50mi in 2nd!! Im lost, and very frustrated. Thanks for any advice

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you checked for codes? That's the first thing you need to do. If you can’t troubleshoot that way then it might be time to get a bidirectional scanner like a Tech2 so you can check the individual components like speed sensors etc. They can be had for $300-350 but it might take a week for shipping from China unless you can find an eBay seller with stock in the US.

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
Maybe try autozone they will pull your code for free-if its a simple abs speed sensor code at least you will no which one it is.Maybe just replace it cheap around 20 bucks.

OP
OP
Lit549

Lit549

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea i currently dont have a way to pull the codes, i will have a snap on scanner loaned to me in a week or so but i need my truck now.
I changes the speed sensor and nope still does it. I changed both hubs 2 yrs ago, and i dont think the rear has speed sensors? I was just hoping some has had this issue cause i see alot on a google search but the fixes are all over the place..

OP
OP
Lit549

Lit549

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe try autozone they will pull your code for free-if its a simple abs speed sensor code at least you will no which one it is.Maybe just replace it cheap around 20 bucks.
Yep, already replaced it and its the same.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea i currently dont have a way to pull the codes, i will have a snap on scanner loaned to me in a week or so but i need my truck now.
I changes the speed sensor and nope still does it. I changed both hubs 2 yrs ago, and i dont think the rear has speed sensors? I was just hoping some has had this issue cause i see alot on a google search but the fixes are all over the place..
Yes the rear absolutely does have wheel speed sensors. What brand hubs did you use 2 years ago? If they’re not OEM or Timken one of the sensors in those might have gone bad in that time. Either get a cheap $20 code reader or go to any auto parts store and have them pull codes. Take a picture with your phone so you’ll remember what they are. It won’t tell you which one but it should point to the front or rear. That’s if this a speed sensor issue. There might be other codes. But if I sensor is bad it will cause these issues.

OP
OP
Lit549

Lit549

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually have a code reader but ny son has it 4 hrs away, lol. I used either the moog or timken i cant remember. The rain has something to do with it as i drove in heavy rain for 3 hrs the other day. It sat for 6 days then back home another 3hrs in heavy rain, after that its totally fubar!

OP
OP
Lit549

Lit549

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not seeing a rear abs sensor at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645