I Need An Education On Window Tint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was the problem - missing a few letters and a decimal point or two...Thanks for setting me straight!

We got this. I don't know about you, but I've helped my freshman with her Common Core math homework. They're not looking for correct answers. You just need to throw enough random BS in there to convey positive vibes and good intentions and they're obligated to mark every answer "correct".

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We got this. I don't know about you, but I've helped my freshman with her Common Core math homework. They're not looking for correct answers. You just need to throw enough random BS in there to convey positive vibes and good intentions and they're obligated to mark every answer "correct".
Just need to make sure the answer is a “friendly” number.

Fubar0715

Scott
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh good, more participation trophies - just what we need! :2cents:

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did some more googling with better search terms and came across a math formula that explains how it is calculated.

Original x Aftermarket / 100 = Combined Percentage

1665768043273.png

So, we're not lawful up front but one can easily see inside and the rears are well within limits. The tint man did write back with an explanation that stated I would never have any issues with the law with the front tint. We shall see about that!

Julia was pulled over a couple of weeks ago in the white Sierra by a State Trooper whose premise for stopping her at night was that her tint was too dark. Yeah, that'll (probable cause) fly in court. He had trouble climbing up onto the running boards with the 35s and 6.5" lift. He was wrong about the rear tint and right about the front. He gave her a warning.

Like many of you, she's not going to do a thing and stated she would just pay the ticket should she get one.

Many thanks to all those who tried to 'splain it to me and failed! It's not you, it's me; been a little slower than normal lately.

Thus endeth the lesson!

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did some more googling with better search terms and came across a math formula that explains how it is calculated.

Original x Aftermarket / 100 = Combined Percentage

View attachment 382841

So, we're not lawful up front but one can easily see inside and the rears are well within limits. The tint man did write back with an explanation that stated I would never have any issues with the law with the front tint. We shall see about that!

Julia was pulled over a couple of weeks ago in the white Sierra by a State Trooper whose premise for stopping her at night was that her tint was too dark. Yeah, that'll (probable cause) fly in court. He had trouble climbing up onto the running boards with the 35s and 6.5" lift. He was wrong about the rear tint and right about the front. He gave her a warning.

Like many of you, she's not going to do a thing and stated she would just pay the ticket should she get one.

Many thanks to all those who tried to 'splain it to me and failed! It's not you, it's me; been a little slower than normal lately.

Thus endeth the lesson!

This chart says in simpler terms (but not as simple as @wjburken put it) of what I was trying to say. 21 is 30% of 70. 13 is 50% of 25 (rounded) and 11 is 50% of 22.

Tint reduces whatever light is available. If the window already has a light tint (30%), then it means it is blocking 30% of the light and you're still getting 70%. So, 70% of light is available. Adding 30% tint to that means 30% of that available 70% will be blocked. You're reducing that still-available 70% by 30%. 30% of 70 is 21, so you'll now have 21% of light available. This is 7% darker than lawful, according to that chart.

Another example: Say you start with a perfectly clear glass with 100% VLT (visible light transmission). You put 50% tint over it. You're now blocking 50% of that light, so you're passing (can see) the remaining 50%.

Now, put another layer of 50% on top of that. No, it's not 50% + 50% = 100% (completely opaque glass). You're reducing that available 50% of light by half, meaning "half of half". So, you're now at 25% available light (VLT).

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This chart says in simpler terms (but not as simple as @wjburken put it) of what I was trying to say. 21 is 30% of 70. 13 is 50% of 25 (rounded) and 11 is 50% of 22.

Tint reduces whatever light is available. If the window already has a light tint (30%), then it means it is blocking 30% of the light and you're still getting 70%. So, 70% of light is available. Adding 30% tint to that means 30% of that available 70% will be blocked. You're reducing that still-available 70% by 30%. 30% of 70 is 21, so you'll now have 21% of light available. This is 7% darker than lawful, according to that chart.

Another example: Say you start with a perfectly clear glass with 100% VLT (visible light transmission). You put 50% tint over it. You're now blocking 50% of that light, so you're passing (can see) the remaining 50%.

Now, put another layer of 50% on top of that. No, it's not 50% + 50% = 100% (completely opaque glass). You're reducing that available 50% of light by half, meaning "half of half". So, you're now at 25% available light (VLT).
I'm totally lost......

Some time ago I was talking to a Cop, as he was sitting in his 'company car' about his tint......
He told me he had to lower the passenger window at night to see when he was backing up.

(( If I wanted tint, I ask the local Sheriff's office who tints their cars.... That's the place to use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne