I Need An Education On Window Tint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Fellas,

So I made an appointment and my daughter took Sonoma Rose to get her windows tinted. I told the guy over the phone that I wanted it the same as my Yukon that they did, the maximum amount allowed by law. The paperwork for the Yukon says 30% up front and 20% in the rear, the regular ceramic. Well, Jaime comes home and it is not nearly as dark as mine and the paperwork says 30% for the front and 50% for the rear. I tried calling but the phone just rang, figured he was working on a car and hung up.

The windows from the factory are tinted and says 70% transparency for the front windows, 25% transparency for the rear side windows and 22% transparency for the back window.

For the front side windows, Florida law allows for, "a total solar reflectance of visible light of not more than 25 percent as measured on the nonfilm side and a light transmittance of at least 28 percent in the visible light range".

For the windows behind the driver, Florida law allows for, "a total solar reflectance of visible light of not more than 35 percent as measured on the nonfilm side and a light transmittance of at least 6 percent in the visible light range may be used on multipurpose passenger vehicles".

Found this little nugget in the statutes, "Every percentage measurement required by ss. 316.2951-316.2954 is subject to a tolerance of plus or minus 3 percent".

So, if the goal is get to 28% and the windows are already 70% from the factory, wouldn't they have applied 42% film on the front two windows?

And if that is right, wouldn't they have applied 19% and 16% film on the rears to get to 6%?

The photo of the red truck is before tinting. Let me run outside and take an after photo... Ok, third one is after with tint. What do you think?

IMG_4262.jpgIMG_0582.JPG20221012_173417.jpg

Last edited:

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the tint looks just right.

I had a new silverado that didn't have factory tint (crew cab). I was told to expense the window tint, so I had all 4 done. I never thought about tinting the driver window being from WI, but man was it nice. Looked similar to your truck with only 20%. Money well spent.......theirs anyway LOL

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, if the goal is get to 28% and the windows are already 70% from the factory, wouldn't they have applied 42% film on the front two windows?

I always thought that a tint's VLT (Visible Light Transmission) was rated with it on a transparent glass. So, if the glass already has a 70% VLT, then a tint would transmit it's rated percentage of that 70%. So, a 20% tint on a 70% tinted window would net a 14% VLT, if I mathed correctly.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always thought that a tint's VLT (Visible Light Transmission) was rated with it on a transparent glass. So, if the glass already has a 70% VLT, then a tint would transmit it's rated percentage of that 70%. So, a 20% tint on a 70% tinted window would net a 14% VLT, if I mathed correctly.
Can you say that again at kindergarten level to see if I get it? LOL

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think what he’s saying is, if the stock window passes 70% of light, and then you put a 20% film on it, the film will pass 20% of the 70% the window passes, or 14%.
Come on Wade, that's 3rd grade level! 70 plus 20 is 90, how do you guys get to 14? LOL I'm waiting for that "duh" moment!

Fubar0715

Scott
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forgot to carry the one or my publicly educated dumb ass just got no good math skills....Probably the later to be fair! :Stupid Me:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne