I made it! 2015 Yukon XL Denali, , 300,000 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

tuffguy23

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So you’re still on the original transmission? Just second converter.
Do you have the 8 speed or the 6 speed?

2 sets of replacement tires… as in you’re on your 3rd set? If so that’s some really good mileage you’re getting out of your tires! Brand and size?

That seems like a lot of radiators?

When you replaced the cam and all the lifters I’m assuming that repair was completed at the same time? If so curious why you didn’t go ahead and mechanically delete the AFM?
ok, Yes original 8 speed transmission. second converter. 158 degree trans thermostat. new fluid and filter every year.
autozone radiators are *****. finally got another GM unit.
I actually like the AFM. Thats one of the reasons i chose this vehicle. replaced all AFM components when the cam was worn out at about 200k miles. my belief is that my oil changes were too infrequent and i was believing the unrealistic change intervals published by a well known oil manufacturer. I now use a different oil that has Dexos ratings. 5K oil and filter changes . Tires are Michelin Defenders. 100k miles per set easy. Mostly highway miles of course. Thanks.

SuperOldSchool

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles on trans when you put the cooler thermostat on it?

I forgot I had the radiator/ heat cycling crack issue as well.

I’d like to keep it to 200k-250k, but not sure I want all those repairs to continue.

I’m sure I’ll need another set of shocks, prob some wheel hubs, control arms maybe at some point.

Plus one rear wheel arch is rusting and the repair is $$ to do it the right way.

Last edited:

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm kinda proud but it seems conservative driving and LOTs of maintenance can pay off. Now that I've fixed all the known problems, it seems i have a dependable vehicle that i can just drive and enjoy. View attachment 379233
Out of curiosity did you ever install a catch can?

This gives me hope as I have 136K miles and have zero plans on selling it. I do both highway and gridlock driving.

OP
OP
T

tuffguy23

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Out of curiosity did you ever install a catch can?

This gives me hope as I have 136K miles and have zero plans on selling it. I do both highway and gridlock driving.
well, interesting question. I do my own work, so when i had the heads off I removed all the valves and had to wire brush the intakes. they were all caked with serious carbon buildup. see pic. But No, i didn't install a catch can. But i now know why some folks do.
intake_valve.jpg

SuperOldSchool

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey tuffguy, at what mileage did you swap out the trans thermostat for the colder one? I was contemplating this, but not sure worth it at 120k miles.

Thanks

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@tuffguy23 That's an impressive life span for the 8 speed! I think you're spot on with the fluid and filter change intervals, good maintenance on fluids can go a long way and your vehicle here surely supports that.

Have any of your electronic options and/or features failed and had to be replaced?
Heads up display?
Overhead DVD screens?
Any USB or other media ports?
Cruise Control sensors?
Distance Control sensors?
Parking sensors?
Front Driver and passenger seat motors, sensors, and/or adjustment switches?
Tailgate motor?
Rear compressor for air ride shocks?

Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
T

tuffguy23

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@tuffguy23 That's an impressive life span for the 8 speed! I think you're spot on with the fluid and filter change intervals, good maintenance on fluids can go a long way and your vehicle here surely supports that.

Have any of your electronic options and/or features failed and had to be replaced?
Heads up display?
Overhead DVD screens?
Any USB or other media ports?
Cruise Control sensors?
Distance Control sensors?
Parking sensors?
Front Driver and passenger seat motors, sensors, and/or adjustment switches?
Tailgate motor?
Rear compressor for air ride shocks?

Thanks for sharing!
Hi, No problems with anything you listed. The trans cooler thermo bypass is factory original too.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, and yes i was expecting that question. Here goes:

Torque converter (warranty)
radiator ( warranty)
a/c condenser ( warranty)
left running board motor
right running board motor
trans temp sensor 2x
another condenser
3 more radiators
cam
all lifters
all 4 magnaride shocks ( converted to hydraulic )
2 batteries,
gps antenna
reflash 4wd module
front cv boot
front sway bar mounts
plugs
starter
2 sets replacement tires
front rotors and pads
rear pads
change trans fluid every 40k miles or so. (Mobil blue label)
learned my lesson about oil changes: was doing every 10k, now i do 5k changes only.
Thanks. TG
Awesome! Did you delete the AFM system when you swapped the cam? If so, which cam did you go with?

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I retained the AFM and installed all new stock factory parts. I enjoy routinely getting 22 to 24 Hwy mpg.
That is exactly what I get out on the highway. My AFM is still enabled. I never installed a catch can either so at this point will just clean the carbon out the way you did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz