I can't get front drive shaft to push back into transfer case.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cutoff wheel would be a sure thing, sawzall maybe, depends exactly where you cut. Yoke has a case hardened surface,once thru that sawzall no problem.
Yes you must replace front driveshaft Yoke. Recommend a Upullit- TCase and driveshaft. Also save switching box on side of tcase. Also SAVE your front D/S BOOT. No longer available seperately. Getting one from Upullit you can get all the plastic clips Harness attachments, vent line elbow and other hardware tough to find.
Recommend you split trans/tcase before you get parts- to decide if trans rear seal leaking.Trans fluid should not mix with tcase- failed tcase failed trans if leaking. Otherwise get trans from upullit too. If I remember right, the ujoints on front driveshaft are 3147's so cheap to fix rather than $300 for rebuilt.
With the front driveshaft yoke frozen to splines, Brother should have had noise/vibration in 4x4,especially on bumps when front suspension moves. Lube Splines on install. Make sure they are clean.

OP
OP
C

chicagochuck

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes, I'll get the front splined yoke from the junk yard.

I'll let you know if I can get the T case out with front yoke attached, once i get the U joint out. I'm going to rent a ball joint/u joint press tomorrow. I am hoping I have enough clearance, do bring it down.

How do you know or whats the procedure to test if a junk yard T case is any good besides checking the the fluid and turning by hand checking for play in the yoke? And your procedure for testing a junk yard Trans?

According to Dash code NP8 I have the NP246 transfer case. So I have an idea what to look for... 98-2000...

Thanks

Last edited:

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
According to Dash code NP8 I have the NP246 transfer case. So I have an idea what to look for... 98-2000...

Expand your search; my '04 has the 246 also. Many of these trucks have the Auto T/C.

Now that I said that, you'll want to check the spline count on the shafts, it seems that there may have been a difference over the years. Also, the little shift shaft that the encoder motor turns, some have two flats on them and later ones have multiple splines.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fless- good call, Spline count matters on output shaft too.
Take pictures of everything, really helps when you need it. Easier to count spines on a pic than layin on your back gettin dirt in your eyes.

OP
OP
C

chicagochuck

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update: I did get the T case out on Sunday. I ended up cutting the u joint. A guy a few miles from me has a T case from a 1999 Tahoe. But does not have the car anymore. He scraps a lot of cars. So he doesn't know if it had 4 button switch. It still has the yoke and front drive shaft attached.

The spline count is the same and its a NP246, with same gears as mine. But My T case has a blue Auto trak fluid sticker, his has yellow Dexron sticker, so I am not sure, it that means it wouldn't work.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look in your glove compartment for the RPO codes. Run the numbers thru decoder or list. Determine if your electrics are Auto Trac. Which dash switch helps too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157