I can't get front drive shaft to push back into transfer case.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chicagochuck

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am working on a 1998 Tahoe z71 4x4. The transfer case was ran dry and is now making all kinds of noises. Front output shaft seal was unknowingly leaking and now the case is toast.

This is the first time trying to pull the drive shaft so bare with me. I watched a few videos and followed.. unbolting the 4 bolts near the front differential.

Loosened the rubber boot near transfer case and put a pry bar in between the Yoke but the driveshaft will not push back into transfer case giving me the clearance to remove it.

I hammered a bit on the rear shaft trying to force it into the transfer case , but no luck. I didn't want to beat on it to bad but I guess i couldn't hurt the bad case... Am I doing something wrong?

Also the u joints move half way so they are not rusted in and I noticed when pushing up on the driveshaft near the transfer case it goes up and down so a lot of play in it, unless that's normal..

Thanks

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i can't remember what i did on mine when i pulled the transfer case. however no there shouldn't be much play there. also beating directly on the transfer case can damage it. they are meant to deal with the torque not direct impacts but cast will crack if you hit it right.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Splines must be dry. Try putting some lube on them to free up. Hopefully you won't have a big ski jump to get over. Vibration also helps here while trying to move it. Also with front jacked you get a little more. Could try walking U joint out a little at a time.

bsamole

Reaction score
I replaced the transfer case on my 99 4x4 Tahoe in March of this year. Perhaps there are other methods but in my case I unbolted the front axle from the frame to allow clearance to remove the front drive shaft.

My transfer case sounded like a rock crusher. I started to rebuild the TC but changed my mind when I saw all the broken bearings and metal shavings. I purchased a replacement on Ebay from GEARKING11.

OP
OP
C

chicagochuck

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok. I don't have the front jacked up so I will try that and see if it helps. I'll also try to spray some lube onto the splines.

If i have to i'll unbolt the axle as well, I'll look into that. When I pulled the drain plug, of course no fluid came out, but it was plugged with what looks like brown dirt. I guess friction bands. But yes it sounds horrible especially in reverse.

I will report back. Thanks

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes the obvious is what we dont see- Try unbolting t-case to move it aft. Coming out anyway. worst case, may have trouble removing driveshaft, put 4 of the 6 flange bolts back in or the 2 lower mount bolts.
Might even be able to knock ujoint caps out at front diff. You are gonna be under it all day!

OP
OP
C

chicagochuck

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I ended up knocking the caps off early yesterday and I was able to get the front u joint out. But the Drive shaft is stuck in the Transfer Case nonetheless. I have used a tie strap pulling it forward and knocking on it pretty good but it wont budge.

I'm on my back so I can't get the best angle. I think some people use a come along. Maybe I'll go buy one... At this point I might put it back together and take it to a shop. I am sure the back is likely the same.

Thanks

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Likely to not come out easily(tcase with yoke on it), but you could try removing the rear ujoint caps leaving the yoke,or Cut the ujoint or the yoke off.. Rear driveshaft rarely sticks, if I understood your post correctly. Its used alot, they wear out yokes. You need a new front driveshaft anyway, so you could destroy it.

OP
OP
C

chicagochuck

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Let me ask a few questions So if i do get the front shaft out its likely trash? splines damaged rusted or whatever.

Its my brothers truck so I just want to let him know of possibilities costs etc.

Do you think a Sawzall would do the job cutting the yolk or U joint?

I will focus on getting the back Drive shaft out. That'll be my task for today. Thanks

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan