Hydro-Boost brakes.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FrankU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I had my 2006 SSV Tahoe it had hydro-boost brakes on it. Stopping was excellent. Fast forward to my 2011 Tahoe and the reason for this post.

Any one have hydro-boost brakes on they're newer (GMT900) Tahoe ? Did any of the newer models come with a hydro-boost brake system ?

TIA

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure that the hydro boost system on NNBS trucks will only be found on ones with the diesel. Certainly not on a PPV. Too expensive to fix when they fail.

OP
OP
FrankU

FrankU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found a source for a complete hydroboost braking system 900.00 shipped. Pm me for details. I'm not too sure if I can post the information.

OP
OP
FrankU

FrankU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO One thing is that the hydroboost brakes are an alternative to a big brake conversion for a fraction of the cost. And they do work.

We did lowering , sway bars and a Katskin leather gut. Got to get some better braking in preparation for more power.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO One thing is that the hydroboost brakes are an alternative to a big brake conversion for a fraction of the cost. And they do work.

We did lowering , sway bars and a Katskin leather gut. Got to get some better braking in preparation for more power.
Is there much difference in the GMT 800& 900 master cyclinder/brake pedal setup. The conversions for the gmt800 are not that expensive and not much involved to fix a hydroboost. Biggest issue I've seen is the failed $6 seal.

I have hydroboost with the gmt900 brake upgrade and am very pleased with it. I'd like to see a comparison in my setup to a BBK without hydroboost..probably comparable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That depends on what you want as far as better braking. But in no way will hydroboost on stock size rotors work as well as the 16" 6-piston/ 14" 4- piston Wilwoods I installed, especially for towing or extended mountainous braking or just extended periods of hard braking. I did the GMT900 front upgrade on my 02 and had a scary experience on some back mountain roads where the fade got so bad I had a hard time coming to a stop so I could let them cool off. For one or two hard braking sessions in a row hydroboost will help but you're still stuck with no way to dissipate the heat created when hard braking for any extended period. You just have better leverage which doesn't necessarily mean better brakes. Just less effort. I have no problem with the amount of leverage I can get pressing on the brake pedal without hydroboost. Of course, having the huge Wilwood 6-piston calipers helps with that since I'm sure they don't require as much leverage. They're about twice the size of the GMT900's.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That depends on what you want as far as better braking. But in no way will hydroboost on stock size rotors work as well as the 16" 6-piston/ 14" 4- piston Wilwoods I installed, especially for towing or extended mountainous braking or just extended periods of hard braking. I did the GMT900 front upgrade on my 02 and had a scary experience on some back mountain roads where the fade got so bad I had a hard time coming to a stop so I could let them cool off. For one or two hard braking sessions in a row hydroboost will help but you're still stuck with no way to dissipate the heat created when hard braking for any extended period. You just have better leverage which doesn't necessarily mean better brakes. Just less effort. I have no problem with the amount of leverage I can get pressing on the brake pedal without hydroboost. Of course, having the huge Wilwood 6-piston calipers helps with that since I'm sure they don't require as much leverage. They're about twice the size of the GMT900's.
Not to take anything away from Wilwoods since there's no doubt they are bad ass brakes, but hydroboost isn't just better leverage it also applies more force. Now if I were to tow heavy or run mountains passes I would run a more aggressive brake pad to suit that situation. I've run my brakes pretty hard since installing them from triple digit numbers and I'm not seeing any fade, the most I got was the smell of brake pads and they still stopped great. My brakes seem to work better the hotter than get. JMO and since we don't have any mountains in TX I got nothing to compare, but it would take a hellevua mountain pass to fade my brakes unless I was doing spirited driving and pushing them. I get the whole heat dissipation and surface area thing..

I came back to this after locking up my brakes on the freeway today as some idiot panick stopped in front of a group of cars to make an exit and I hit the brakes quick and hard enough to lock up my 24s and change lanes. I don't feel I'm lacking braking power for my needs.

I added hydroboost to a very worn brake setup and it made them work better before upgrading rotors, pads and lines so I know it works is all I'm saying.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to take anything away from Wilwoods since there's no doubt they are bad ass brakes, but hydroboost isn't just better leverage it also applies more force. Now if I were to tow heavy or run mountains passes I would run a more aggressive brake pad to suit that situation. I've run my brakes pretty hard since installing them from triple digit numbers and I'm not seeing any fade, the most I got was the smell of brake pads and they still stopped great. My brakes seem to work better the hotter than get. JMO and since we don't have any mountains in TX I got nothing to compare, but it would take a hellevua mountain pass to fade my brakes unless I was doing spirited driving and pushing them. I get the whole heat dissipation and surface area thing..

I came back to this after locking up my brakes on the freeway today as some idiot panick stopped in front of a group of cars to make an exit and I hit the brakes quick and hard enough to lock up my 24s and change lanes. I don't feel I'm lacking braking power for my needs.

I added hydroboost to a very worn brake setup and it made them work better before upgrading rotors, pads and lines so I know it works is all I'm saying.

Force/leverage is pretty much along the same lines. You're pushing the pads against the rotors harder. The problem is, they're the same surface area. Heat can only get disdipated so fast. But drive one of our trucks down a one-lane road about 4-5,000 feet elevation drop in a few miles and you'd be scared with our stock size rotors, I guarantee you. I had literally zero brakes about three quarters of the way down, and if I'd come upon an uphill vehicle as I came around a corner I'd have been screwed. I wasn't driving that fast but as soon as I would let off the brakes I would be doing 30-40 again. So like I said, it depends on what you need from your brakes. In no way would hydroboost have done much but in normal city driving it does help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjvieira

Latest posts