How To: Setup Auto Ride for Lifts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
I will try my best to explain all the details of setting of Auto Ride for lifted Tahoe/Yukon/Eskys from 00-15+. Any lifting on these vehicles such as a rear spacer lift under the coil or full blown lift kit will alter the ride height control. This concept also applies for the front MagneRide on 07+ with front ride height sensors. This concept can work for lowered applications using a shorter all thread rod to replace stock length rods.

I used Full Throttle Suspension for ride height rod extenders. They sell them in two (2) extensions per package. (Will add picture later) These have set screws on either end to allow full adjustment of the ride height sensor rods. To install the adjustable extensions it requires cutting of the stock rod. You can use either a metal cutting blade hand saw or cut off wheel. Cut the stock rod roughly in the middle of the rod. This will help center the extension in the middle. Install the rod extension by inserting each end of the cut rod into the extension then tighten the set screw on either end. This will now make a longer ride height rod that is adjustable. Ensure the ball cup ends are orientated in the correct position for install on either front and/or rear. This is simple by looking at the balls on the truck.

The front magnetic ride control dampening is adjusted using the ride height sensor to adjust the magnetic force inside the shock. The front ride height sensor is located just behind the upper strut mount towards the firewall. It is mounted on the frame rail and connects to the Upper Control Arm (UCA) as seen in the picture below.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9NWVVLc0-UayEPVL3pajjA8IzfJ3hBrgdoYHfiZPqMJjDyPLpbQ.jpg
IMG_7612-L.jpg

Below is a picture of the front ride height rod with extension installed and set back to stock position.
IMG_2381_zpswvwboh6r.jpg

The rear ride height control adjusts the amount of air pressure in the shocks that adjusts height and dampening. The rear ride height rod sensor is located in front of the rear tire towards front of the car. It may be hidden by the fender liner. The sensor is mounted on the frame rail and rod connected to upper trailing arm.
122506auto1png_00000071719.png
Ride-height-sensor.jpg

Below is a picture of the rear ride height rod with extension installed and set back to stock position. (will add picture later)

To set the correct position of either front or rear simply take a measurement from a fixed point prior to removal of each rod. Such as measuring the truck on level ground from the top of the sensor arm to fender liner. You can also rough guess the position by comparing the sensor arms to a stock vehicle located at dealerships or parking lots. People may look at you funny but its easy to look at a stock height car then adjust yours. This extension system will trick the computers to think the UCAs or rear trailing arms are in stock position when in fact lifted. This will enable the front or rear control of the system as stock. Hope this helps others with Auto Ride lifts.

al2fast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great info, thank you for sharing. I've been contemplating the splurge of the mild lift/level and was a little fuzzy on the details. Guess I got no more excuses, time to make a decision on rims and tires and peddle my current 22" reps!

zerps

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
great info! thanks. haven't heard my autoride go on but once or twice since adding leveling kit.
definitely interested in installing these. do you have a link to these extenders?

OP
OP
01Konvict

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
OP
01Konvict

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
Here are the FTS ride height rod extensions. You cut the stock rods then lock in the desired position with set screws. They come two in a bag as a set.
30B49A6A-F44A-4303-AF01-42AFC92AD59D_zpsgtm9kv2q.jpg
46880D75-8459-431B-918D-1887E103E857_zpsc3nn901s.jpg

Sarge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for this. Ive just gotta go find a stock one to measure. And if i trick the rear can i make it air up more to raise it a tad more to get my dreadful rake to go away. Im about .25'' to low after my level and spacer

OP
OP
01Konvict

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
Correct. If you have any rear spacers then you need the extension parts to make adjustments

Sarge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, im confused. haha.

I have a 3/4'' rear spacer in the rear. The yukon sits about 1/2'' lower than i want even after the air kicks on after start up.

So when i get the extension and adjust, wouldn't i need to make them about 1/2'' longer than i should to trick the system to air it up more to raise the rear that additional .5'' i want?
Or am i thinking wrong on how it reads it and should it be 1/2'' shorter. On the adjusted rear links

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17