How To: Setup Auto Ride for Lifts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
01Konvict

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
Nope you got it right. Need the rods to be longer so the system thinks its sagging and needs air. Takes a few tries on hills and such to get set right but not much effort.

OP
OP
01Konvict

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
Found a little better rear shock extension bracket made for Jeeps but think it will fit the GM axle also. Appears to be a good 2" from bolt hole to bolt hole.
http://www.amazon.com/Jeep-Wrangler-Shock-Extensions-lifts/dp/B00FY7ZVCQ
611stTNSLSL._SL1024_.jpg

vinnyray

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been curious as to how the sensors are affected by a front leveling kit. I tried finding info on how the auto level works, more than the concept. What does it use to determine what is level, does it use all four sensor relationships or just the reae? Currently I have a 1.5 leveling spacer on the bottom of the strut. I have not had any issues since it is within the sensor range and the auto level works when need.

Last edited:
OP
OP
01Konvict

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
The front and rear is electronic dampening with the rear being air level assist. So when the front and rear rods aren't set at stock ride height position it cause the dampening to change. So when the front sensors are down on ride height rod it makes the computer think the front is in the air so dampening might be hard (haven't verified this yet but can feel it in mine when playing with them). So that's why its best to get the readylift bracket to adjust front to correct spot or FTS spacers. The rear applies the same way but when lifted it says "service suspension" because its out of range to properly work with the air assist. Also if you remove the factory electronic shocks you need to run resistors on the wires to trick the computers however must remove the ride sensors also as they change amps applied to each shock depending on ride height position and can burn up the resistors. I think the shock resistors are 3 Ohm 25 Watt but haven't measured the resistors for the ride height rods yet to trick them. There is another option to remove all autoride with the strutmasters module that connects to the BCM under the dash. http://www.strutmasters.com/product...suv-suspension-warning-light-fix-module-gc2m/

Lil_Stump

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so even though I think I understand this whole thing, I am going to ask for clarification because i'm still a little hazy on this. Sorry if I'm bothering you with the question. But anyway, I have a 2007 Tahoe LTZ 2WD, and I was planning on putting the RC 3.5" lift kit they offer (http://www.roughcountry.com/gm-suspension-lift-kit-202s.html), and from what I'm gathering from this post, I would just need the 3.5" rear shock relocators/extensions and the FTS ride height adjuster rods to get it to work with the autoride?

OP
OP
01Konvict

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
Just for others never put that kit on a 4wd. That particular kit would only need the ride height rod extension from FTS. Front and rear if you have electronic dampening up front. No shock extensions since it comes with some anyhow.

Those shock extensions in the kit will be great for people wanting a 1.5-2" rear spacer. Same design as the ones I posted above. They should sell them separate from the kit if you call them directly.

Last edited:

Lil_Stump

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok thank you very much for your help man, glad I can finally throw a lift on her without worrying about problems :)

vinnyray

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an update on my experience.

I extended the sensor rods and it definitely made the ride softer (stock).

I put the front on jack stands and used the jack to raise and lower the hub to determine the amount of travel at different locations. I have a 1.5" level, which is actually a 13/16" spacer. I measured the sensor arm travel when moving 13/16" up at the spacer. The sensor arm moved 3/8", so that is what I extended the sensor arm. So 1.5" front lift = 3/8" longer sensor arm. I went the threaded rod route to extend the sensor arm.

IMG_20160516_124214.jpg

IMG_20160516_124016.jpg