How to: Rear brakes on a 00-06 Tahoe, Yukon, or Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vinniety

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found this thread searching for some more info on how to fix my emergency brakes. They suck. I will be posting a new thread asking.

jbb01

Reaction score
FYI, ATE rotors are zinc coated and are slotted not drilled. Great engineering and no brake fade. Had them on for 8 months now. I had 14" slotted and drilled rotors from Baer and these I like better. and cheaper too!

CAResearch

Reaction score
Just had my second set of brakes go at 25k, and so when this set goes, I'm going to replace the rotors and upgrade the pads.

Once the pads go bad using slot/drilledcut cut rotors, like the ones posted,

do you have to "CUT" the rotors again, once you eventually have to put new pads on? Like you do with standard rotors and new pads?

I just had new rotors put in, but if my brakes are going every 25k, I'd rather eat the loss and upgrade the entire set,

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the pads are going in just 25K I would definitely recommend a different type of pad. As for the power slot rotors, we offer those as well, but I have heard better reviews from the R1's.

As for turning/cutting the rotors when replacing the pads, if you are keeping the rotors, I would recommend turning them to make sure you have a clean mating surface for the new pads to adhere to.

CAResearch

Reaction score
So how do you turn slot drilled rotors? Or do you have to take them to a shop every time you replace the pads?

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You would turn them the same way as regular rotors, depending on the wear it shouldn't take much. Also, unlike turning regular rotors, which tends to cause them to warp easier you shouldn't have an issue with warping quite as bad.

I am honestly just having trouble understanding why you are going through them efvery 25K miles. Are you REAL ******* them? I have had cross drilled and slotted R1Concepts Premium rotors on my Dmax for well over 25K and a low of those miles were heavy laden with hauling extremely heavy loads and they are no where near needing replaced.

CAResearch

Reaction score
I have no idea why they are wearing so fast... I had the full set done 13 months ago.. Two days ago heard some noise, and thought it was just dust, and took it back, and realized I had driven 25k miles, and and the rears were toast.. Had a lifetime warranty, and but labor was another $100.

And the fronts are about 40% done.

Any ideas, and maybe Midas sucks lol..

I do drive a lot of stop n. Go traffic dropping of kids all day, maybe that's it

OP
OP
S

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no idea why they are wearing so fast... I had the full set done 13 months ago.. Two days ago heard some noise, and thought it was just dust, and took it back, and realized I had driven 25k miles, and and the rears were toast.. Had a lifetime warranty, and but labor was another $100.

I do drive a lot of stop n. Go traffic dropping of kids all day, maybe that's it

Yes, Midas does suck. They give you crappy pads with a lifetime warranty so they will win no matter what. The pads probably cost them under 20 bucks. So they install cheap pads and maybe you never com back, Win for them.
Or you do cam back and they get to charge you $100 labor to install more cheap pads=Double win for them.
Next time they go out, just replace them yourself with far superior pads. You can get some nice pads for under $100 for sure. So spend that on better pads instead of giving it to Midas for 45 mins worth of work.

03tahoe2012

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, Midas does suck. They give you crappy pads with a lifetime warranty so they will win no matter what. The pads probably cost them under 20 bucks. So they install cheap pads and maybe you never com back, Win for them.
Or you do cam back and they get to charge you $100 labor to install more cheap pads=Double win for them.
Next time they go out, just replace them yourself with far superior pads. You can get some nice pads for under $100 for sure. So spend that on better pads instead of giving it to Midas for 45 mins worth of work.

yes they do lol!

Autozone Duralast Cmax pads with a lifetime warranty!!

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Autozone Duralast Cmax pads with a lifetime warranty!!

The issue I personally have with lifetime pads is that they are extremely hard metal composite pads that have a tendency to glaze over from heat causing severe brake fade and squealing, etc. Not to mention the dusting you get from them all over the rims. I absolutely HATE brake dust not only for looks, but especially if you have expensive rims, the dust can cause pitting in the metal of the rims if not removed often if not daily.

---------- Post added at 08:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 AM ----------

Stop and go traffic can cause excessive brake wear, but especially when you are going 25K miles a year. But like stated below, the lifetime pads, regardless of brand are nothing more than cheap metallic composite brake pads that have a lot of issues. They are NOT quality parts.

If you want brakes that will last longer and not have the issues you are having let me know.

Exactly, places like Midas are completely profit oriented and will provide the cheapest parts they can get in bulk, period. Unless you request higher quality pads and in some cases they don't even offer better quality pads. I also have heard of folks requesting better quality pads while actually receiving the cheap pads because they know the average person can't tell the difference from looking through the rim at them. They also make a mint on labor which is ALWAYS good for them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20

Latest posts