How to: NBS master cylinder swap for firm brake pedal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarkD51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hard to push pedals in the first couple of inches is the vacuum booster holding you back. your booster might have malfunctioning seal or valves inside the unit from your description of what is going on. your first push on the pedal should be easy.

So then SLC, it then sounds to you unlikely that there's possibly air somewhere in the system? That it is more likely a Booster going bad?

I'll probably still do the Bleed should I find the Power Bleeder Adapter Plate properly fits the MC Resovoir. I'm only out $44 with the Bleeder Kit from Amazon, and figure another $7 for a qt of Brake Fluid. (And of course an hour or so time hooking all up, and crawling under the truck.

So then sir, should it then come to a replacement for another Booster, where should I purchase such? Oreillys/A-Zone-NAPA which we have here) for a rebuilt Cardone Unit, or go direct to Chevrolet?

I know you folks frown on rebuilt MC's, but what about Boosters? If you suggest-recommend a Chevy Dealer, will these then be new Units, or do they simply run over to Oreillys themselves, and grab a rebuilt to sell me?

Also, should the Booster then be changed, what about the MC? Just re-install the original, or go new with that too? (I know you folks say go direct to chevy for that) I'm gathering you'll probably say the latter, that if I do change the Booster, and since the MC is already off, do it once, and do it right and go with a new MC too.

Thanks again for your help.
Mark

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
It is hard to say 100% because i am not there with pressure and vacuum gauges and what not but it kinda sounds like wear inside. Let me ask when this hardness or softness is happening do es effect the braking power or does it just seem like it it just needs more foot power to achieve the same effect? How long are we talking between these brake applications? And when braking do you seem to loose braking power after a lot of hard stops or does it stay about the same? If the booster needs to go, remanned ones are fine. However only try to source gm, delco, a1cardone, rebesto or bendix units. do not buy house brand stuff like brake best, masterpro, valuecraft, duralast, dorman or proformer and such. It can be a crap shoot on quality and reliability with them. Same applies to mc but always get a new one. If a booster gets changed you can reuse the mc you just unbolt it and move it out of the way carefully with lines still attached if you like. I would forget about changing it now until you have more experienced with the questioned posed above and be absolutely sure there is no air in the system, wheel components are in proper working order and the mc is doing it's job(tho the absence of a brake warning light form the proportioning valve would see to indicate the pressure for front and back are working properly). Based on recent events with my own vehicle I would strongly suggest converting to a hb unit if your booster was screwed. There is a big difference in power assist and reduces user fatigue a bunch as well. You will have to relearn your braking actions too. You can go from being one who veers off to an open lane during a panic stop because your vehicle would not stop quick enough to avoid an accident to the person who is hit in the rear because the car behind you could not do the same all because they might be caught off-guard with the ability of you to slow down so quickly. I have seriously been looking into stickers for the rear that state stuff like sudden stops or stay back so much feet hoping the person behind me will stay back farther because I am almost always drafted by those attempting to get better gas mileage or propagate their ego's. Maybe it just might make a difference. I can be kind on the road as much as the next person but I am more often aggressive and braking is no exception. I have overheated rotors, pads, rear linings and have pushed my brakes to the point of serious brake fade before. At the moment I have slotted rotors that have micro-cracks on the full faces of pad contact areas as well as one hotspot. Imagine that all that was done with a vacuum booster old brake fluid and existing 18 year hydraulics.

qukon 95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel my rear brakes sticking I think this happened after I did the MC swap I will check for leaks in the drums. I might need to put The old MC back on.

MarkD51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Short update: SLC did correctly diagnose my particular problem, a bum Brake Booster.

With his knowledge and help. I accomplished this Booster Swap this Morning, and all seems well. Tomorrow I'll do a Power Bleed at all Wheels.

I deeply appreciate the help, and I thank you folks for your kind tolerance, as I knew I perhaps posted my particular issues in a wrong area, and thread, sidetracking the NBS Booster Thread. Thank you, I'm a little tired, but a happy man! Mark

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been debating the Firm feel SSBC master cylinder for many, many years now. Which we all seem to agree is a NBS master with the larger bore. I need a little more brake pressure on the burb. I am very tempted to try this swap ASAP....

Nak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been debating the Firm feel SSBC master cylinder for many, many years now. Which we all seem to agree is a NBS master with the larger bore.

I respect all of the expertise and experience represented here, but I'll have to disagree with that statement. An NBS master cylinder is designed for a wildly different brake system than found on the OBS. The NBS is a 4 wheel disc master, the OBS has disc/drum brakes. Very different requirements for a master cylinder. Firm feel does not equate to better brakes. To get better brakes, go with hydroboost, or JB6 brakes--the two easiest answers--or go with NBS 4 wheel disc brakes. Just make sure you swap out all the brake components that go with the new system.

You wouldn't build an engine with 5 cylinders at 10:1 compression and 3 at 9:1 compression, would you? Swapping out the MC for one designed for a different type brake system is the same thing, but worse. The former will just ruin your engine. The latter could kill you.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You disagree with my statement about the SSBC Firm Feel Master Cylinder , Part number A0463 is the same at the NBS Master Cylinder? Or that I want to try to increase the brake pressure and see what it yields? This is a not a daily driver anymore so to try altering the brakes just takes some time, if it doesn't work the old MC goes back on.

If I do opt to run discs in the rear I will still need to upgrade the master.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts