How to: NBS master cylinder swap for firm brake pedal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nomad

Reaction score
Understood. Mine will have for now wheel cylinders based on the stock jb5 11" drums, booster based on jb8 and MC based on jd5, 6, 7 and jb8. You can intermix if you do it right. The ABS will be left untouched as I don't want it to think it weighs more then it actually does. Do need to replace a sensor tho when the rain stops.

Sunlitcomet, According to my research RPO JB5/JD5 was used in vehicles with 10 inch (254mm) drums, everything else (jb6/jd6 up was 11 inch and larger. Nak commented the wheel cylinders used in the 10 vs 11 are different sized. Don't know if this makes a difference as I don't know your original configuration.

I will be very interested in your results.

Saif, Don't give up, no doubt braking systems in a modern vehicle can be confusing and complex. But we have a great forum an many talented people working on it. I am sure with continued testing and sharing knowledge we will get it worked out!

Dan

saif najd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know at first I was complaining of the heavy feeling when I drive it and never ending squeak sound when I drive at low speed so I was thinking maybe needs new pads so I did replace them and I got the wrong calipers fix and the idiot who did the work did stop! No he made it happened I didn't know so after few days I noticed the brake smell so I took it around and every one is saying something until I found another mechanic who seems to know what's going on he lifted the Tahoe and the we found out that the 4 wheels are locked as if I am applying the brakes so he told he well fix it and yes second day it was done but!

The squeak noise still there and some time the truck just goes to the left so I took it back and found out that the left side is heavier when it is turned by hand than the right side so he took another few days same results and I think something bad did happened because he just also replaced the steering box and let tell you it very heavy to turn and it feels like there is something wrong it just chose a side and turn to from time to time

Extremely frustrated

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Sunlitcomet, According to my research RPO JB5/JD5 was used in vehicles with 10 inch (254mm) drums, everything else (jb6/jd6 up was 11 inch and larger. Nak commented the wheel cylinders used in the 10 vs 11 are different sized. Don't know if this makes a difference as I don't know your original configuration.

I will be very interested in your results.

Saif, Don't give up, no doubt braking systems in a modern vehicle can be confusing and complex. But we have a great forum an many talented people working on it. I am sure with continued testing and sharing knowledge we will get it worked out!

Dan

correct i goofed that number jb6 is the 11" drum which I have. will correct. getting lost in the codes. going out now to get my booster.

saif najd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yah and the local market is out of parts for my model I couldn't find any brake hoses

And to add the fun to the party:

Ready?

I just got a 99 Yukon the one with written 5700 on the side and I couldn't find chocks!!!!

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
actually if all four wheels are locking when off the ground that sounds more like the brake booster or Master cylinder pistons are jamming. does your pedal move freely in both directions if moved by hand?

saif najd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
actually if all four wheels are locking when off the ground that sounds more like the brake booster or Master cylinder pistons are jamming. does your pedal move freely in both directions if moved by hand?

Now yes it is free but some times when I break fast I feel like there's a force on the pedal against me

He told me that fixed something in the ABS but he don't want to tell me

saif najd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did they replace a part in the abs or just tinker with it?

He said tinkering, I asked him to look for another used ABS so we can replace it and see how it well get

The local market is crazy I found parts made in 1999 and they don't want to buy new part!!

But that dam noise is a killer!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coldlegos

Latest posts