How to install DDM HID kit on low beams w/ relay harness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mcfanny

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Great writeup. I will be installing the 35w in my fogs and 55w in my low beam end of this Month. Just to damn cold to do it now up here at drumm. I will deffinetly be using this. :beer:

OP
OP
vt_hokie2008

vt_hokie2008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
30a is what I used. Not sure if that's specifically what caused the melting, but perhaps.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great writeup. I will be installing the 35w in my fogs and 55w in my low beam end of this Month. Just to damn cold to do it now up here at drumm. I will deffinetly be using this. :beer:

I would advise against the 35w DDM HIDs in the fogs. They get to hot.........they melted my fog light housings to sh$t. Now I have to buy replacements:flipthebird:

OP
OP
vt_hokie2008

vt_hokie2008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would advise against the 35w DDM HIDs in the fogs. They get to hot.........they melted my fog light housings to sh$t. Now I have to buy replacements:flipthebird:

Mine started to melt as well. I ended up putting projectors in my fogs and running 35w that way. Otherwise, go with 25w.

BrandonH13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Yukon so it will be a little different but didn't know if anyone could answer me this.

Which kit should I get? I would assume on the website that I could get the DDM 35W & 55W Single Hi/Lo Motorcycle HID Kit.

I emailed DDM and they came back with the slim ballast kit, then wouldn't I need the harness? Because that would be around $60 while the hi/lo kit looks like it already comes with the harness for $38

OP
OP
vt_hokie2008

vt_hokie2008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Yukon so it will be a little different but didn't know if anyone could answer me this.

Which kit should I get? I would assume on the website that I could get the DDM 35W & 55W Single Hi/Lo Motorcycle HID Kit.

I emailed DDM and they came back with the slim ballast kit, then wouldn't I need the harness? Because that would be around $60 while the hi/lo kit looks like it already comes with the harness for $38

You want a slimline kit, hi/lo bulb will come with all the harness you need, so no need for a relay harness. I'd honestly probably skip on DDM and go get a Morimoto kit on theretrofitsource.com I think DDM's ballasts are pretty good but their bulbs are hit or miss.

BrandonH13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You want a slimline kit, hi/lo bulb will come with all the harness you need, so no need for a relay harness. I'd honestly probably skip on DDM and go get a Morimoto kit on theretrofitsource.com I think DDM's ballasts are pretty good but their bulbs are hit or miss.

I have a retro solutions one in my car and they are pretty good, a ballast just went out on me though so I have to contact them to get it replaced. I paid about $100 for it. For under $50, I can't see much being bad or not the same as my $100 or more. The light color or density might be off a little, but it was only $50 to begin with

BrandonH13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I'm ready to get some HID's for our Yukon. I was going to maybe go with the bi-xenon lo-hi bulbs. The couple that I have seen though have the "shield" thing over the front of the bulbs, or a shield on the side of them. I don't need any shields do I since the stock housing has the one in it? Is this just a bi-xenon thing that it has to have and I should just find some regular lo beam ones?

OP
OP
vt_hokie2008

vt_hokie2008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I'm ready to get some HID's for our Yukon. I was going to maybe go with the bi-xenon lo-hi bulbs. The couple that I have seen though have the "shield" thing over the front of the bulbs, or a shield on the side of them. I don't need any shields do I since the stock housing has the one in it? Is this just a bi-xenon thing that it has to have and I should just find some regular lo beam ones?

The shield is there to try to block some of the light, making it go back to the reflectors in the headlight housings to distribute the light. If you'll notice, with stock bulbs you usually can't see the source of the light, only the reflection from the housing. For the Yukon you need a hi/low kit in order to retain hi/low functionality and pass inspection if your state has it. Fyi, hi/low on a HID kit just changes the position of the bulb to change the reflection pattern, doesn't actually get brighter.

That help?

---------- Post added at 08:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 PM ----------

Nice little write up

Thanks! I hope it helps some people out. I don't personally have them on my Tahoe anymore due to a few equipment violation tickets. VA is pretty **** about car mods unfortunately.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076