HOW TO: Fix strange wiper behavior (PICS)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nimrod.sixty9

Hold on, I got this.
Reaction score
This writeup is written using a 99 Yukon; this may differ from your year/model.

I had put this off for so long, not only due to price of the motor but fear of going through the hell of getting the bars and alignment back in proper order. I wanted to share this due to this not being the case. A new motor, nor the removal of the motor is necessary. This does involve soldering, so if you have Parkinson's or suffer from dementia, please take medication before lighting your truck on fire.

Tools you may have to buy are a soldering gun, solder, and a T10 Torx bit. As you can see by the pic below I used the cheap solder gun and solder; both available at every chain auto parts stores. And I already had a bit for the Torx screws. Basically you can do this for less than $10 in less than 30 minutes. No reason to put off safety any longer!

33d0cc11e8b103ac8e38_4.jpg

For those of you who do not know where the motor is:

33d0cc11e8b103ac8e38_7.jpg

Pic of the Torx for those who dont know:

33d0cc11e8b103ac8e38_5.jpg

First you will need to remove the wiring harness. Pull the blue securing tab toward the front of the of the vehicle. Now you will need to pry the tab while pulling out the wiring harness. You may need to wiggle this back and forth to get this out. Now you are ready to remove the three Torx screws. Once removed, you can now remove the plastic cover/board assembly. This will need some coaxing to remove. Not hard to do, I grabbed the assembly where the wiring harness connected.

33d0cc11e8b103ac8e38_6.jpg

Here you will see the culprit. If you look closely you can see the cold solder joints. I simply heated this and added a little of the new solder to the old. Not best practice for soldering but this has worked for me (and on a budget).

33d0cc11e8b103ac8e38_1.jpg

These tabs you see cicled here should be cleaned as well as bent toward the point of contact. This will assure better contact for the motor. Use needle nose pliers and bend at the base of the contacts. The tip of the tab should be fine at 1/8" from current position.

33d0cc11e8b103ac8e38_2.jpg

Inspect the rest of the board for damage; as you can see here I have another issue. I cleaned this area with rubbing alcohol and dropped solder over the area, making sure to not burn the board or crossing the connection.

33d0cc11e8b103ac8e38_3.jpg

From here its ready to put back in the same way it came out. No alignment or motor removal necessary.

My goal is to have this explained in a way anyone can do this fix, but please don't hesitate to ask any questions!

I hope this helps clear up any confusion.

Last edited:

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Damn. Good write up. I bought another one. If i wohlda known then i coulda fixed mine

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been moved... :waytogo:

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:lol: yeah saw that too late so I brought Gzes' reply over and deleted the other thread :)

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Lol. I didnt even notice it was in the wrong area. But yea mine was replaced last year. I opened it up but didnt look to close to it so i just picked up a autozone refurb one

OP
OP
nimrod.sixty9

nimrod.sixty9

Hold on, I got this.
Reaction score
Lol. I didnt even notice it was in the wrong area. But yea mine was replaced last year. I opened it up but didnt look to close to it so i just picked up a autozone refurb one

The refurb ones here are $50, and new is $70; yikes! This way people are only in $10 and will come out with a soldering gun and solder for any other projects.

I was going to do this long ago as others have already discovered the issue. I was just so worried about getting everything in back in. Come to find out I was obviously confused and thinking many others were too. So I just had to clear up the confusion especially seeing how much of a safety issue this is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tomcoop

Latest posts