How to Clean & Recondition Tahoe PPV Black Wheel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jz57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please share your idea and experience how clean and recondition your Tahoe PPV black wheel/rim.

What brand name cleaner did you use?

How did you recondition the wheel to bring back its NEW looking?

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Please share your idea and experience how clean and recondition your Tahoe PPV black wheel/rim.

What brand name cleaner did you use?

How did you recondition the wheel to bring back its NEW looking?
How bad are yours? Pics?

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took my wheels off and used a wire wheel to knock off any loose crap and if it was bad enough a sanding pad to remove the rest. I have a few different kinds of sanding wheel attachments, flap wheels as well as scotch brite wheels. Usually a heavy wire wheel will do the trick unless you want to remove it all to bare metal. I removed it all.
Then I stuck some index cards along the edge of the rim and sprayed away.
It worked well and has held up but I'll be doing it again with a better paint in the near future. Did my wife's car the same way.

OP
OP
J

jz57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please see the attachment.

I prefer to have some on-market cleaner from super-box store to clean them first like cleaning Aluminum wheels.

Do you have any your personal favorite brand name cleaner?

20200326_123732[1].jpg 20200326_123639[1].jpg

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In all honesty, just from the pictures. I'm not sure a cleaner will do the trick.

It looks like they are rusting through faded and peeling.

My wheels looked similar to yours, there was too much loose debris and bare metal exposed for me to even try to clean them.

As for what to use. I have some Chemical Guys Honeydew, VSS and Jetseal. Haven't tried it on my wheels, will give it a whirl after I repaint them. Basically set up like your washing your car. Clean thoroughly with good foam and bristle brush, clay bar, clean again, rinse and dry (quick version). You can compound them, then polish then wax.

You could try some 3m compound to see what it does. Use a hand applicator and try it out.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah those are years past a clean and be done.

Like the others have said those will need to be prep'ed and painted

The Dorman replacement wheels are on RA for $78 ea

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne