How To Change Number Of Driver/Fob?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steve45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a used 2016 Tahoe. It came with one original key (Driver 1). Spare key was missing. I purchased another key from a locksmith and had him program it. It became Driver 3.

From what I understand, the personal settings for drivers 1 & 2 are stored in memory. I would like to change the third fob to #2 so the memory settings work.

Anybody know how to do this?

Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
S

steve45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Joe!

I've seen that, but I'm reluctant to try it on my 2016, since it was written for a 2015 model vehicle. I've already got another remote that looks the same, but won't pair up with the vehicle. I've read that the circuit board numbers for the remotes can be model year specific.

JML07denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used it on my 16 Yukon SLT worked no problem. I was told the programming works for all 15-19 Tahoe/Yukon’s with smart keys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JML07denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the actual video.

OP
OP
S

steve45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I watched that video before I tried to pair a 2015 remote that my used car dealer gave me to my 2016. It didn't work, car couldn't even see it. Tried a new battery in the remote and still no response. That's why I was skeptical.

I may give it a try.

Thanks!

JML07denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I watched that video before I tried to pair a 2015 remote that my used car dealer gave me to my 2016. It didn't work, car couldn't even see it. Tried a new battery in the remote and still no response. That's why I was skeptical.

I may give it a try.

Thanks!
I think the key has to be “unlocked”. In my case I bought a new key that was not originally programmed so it worked with no issues. Give it a try, hope it works out for you. Let us know if you do try it out.

This is the one I bought.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/112507901904

Tangojay

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks to a dealer screw up, I have a FOB driver 1 and TWO driver #3 FOB's, it's a 2019 Chevy Tahoe LT, is there any way to change just the number so I can use FOB 2 driver setting ?

JML07denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks to a dealer screw up, I have a FOB driver 1 and TWO driver #3 FOB's, it's a 2019 Chevy Tahoe LT, is there any way to change just the number so I can use FOB 2 driver setting ?
Yes, you can reset all the key fobs takes about 30min. Here is the step-by-step.

1. Remove the vehicle key from the remote.

2. Insert the vehicle key into the key lock cylinder on the driver door handle; then turn the key counterclockwise, to the unlock position five times within 10 seconds. The Driver Information Center (DIC) displays REMOTE LEARN PENDING, PLEASE WAIT.

3. Wait for 10 minutes until the DIC displays PRESS ENGINE START BUTTON TO LEARN,
then press the ENGINE START/ STOP button. The DIC display will again show REMOTE LEARN PENDING, PLEASE WAIT.

4. Repeat Step 3 two additional times. After the third time all previously known remotes will no longer work with the vehicle. Remaining remotes can be relearned during the next steps. The DIC display should now show READY FOR REMOTE # 1.

5. Place the new remote in the remote pocket/insert. Open the center console storage area and the storage tray. The remote pocket/insert is in front of the storage area next to the center console storage area between the driver and front passenger seats.

6. Press the ENGINE START/STOP button. When the remote is learned, the DIC display will show that it is ready to program the next remote.

7. Remove the remote from the remote pocket/insert and press unlock or lock on the remote. To program additional remotes, repeat Steps 5–7. When all additional remotes are programmed, press and hold the ENGINE START/STOP button for approximately 12 seconds to exit programming mode.

8. Return the key back into the remote

OP
OP
S

steve45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Step # 4 is different. I may give that a try.

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645