How should I have my running boards painted?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WHITEOUT

Dont Hate-Appreciate
Reaction score
I am going to be getting my running boards painted, so looking for everyones input? haha, and I hate doing this, just stumped and which way to have them painted. Seeing what people think. And yes I know, it's my ride, do what I want. Just getting others input before sprayed.

So it's going to be color matched of course. But wondering just which way to have them painted.

Completely color matched? Which is how I am leaning, just cause I don't use them as steps, only my 3 yr old, so not worried about messing pads up. And think it will look the best, and blend in better. Also don't see anyone doing like that, so have no pics to compare? Post pic if done?

Color match, but keep middle pads black? outer area of running boards will be white, but the middle area where the raised pads are and circle around will stay black? Like everyone does, and looks good tho

Color match, but keep only little pads black? Everything white, except the rectangular steps/pads will stay black? Also have never seen it done like that, so if have pics of done, post em up? May look good, just can't find it done

Again, I am leaning towards complete white, just cause it's alittle different and have no need for center pad area to stay black and looks more like side skirts. I also have my rear bumper pads that way, and it holds up very well.

Hope everyone understands the different ways I'm describing. Only one I can find a pic of in white, is like 2nd option, white outside, inside is kept black.

OP
OP
WHITEOUT

WHITEOUT

Dont Hate-Appreciate
Reaction score
No one has an opinion? All good then, getting painted tomorrow. it's my ride, my decision. and know that. Just wondering if you guys had some preference? thanks tho guys:D

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NBS Denali style possible?

That's always looked perfect to me.

tsb09000

Thread Killer
Reaction score
My vote is to leave them off. Steps on anything lowered look 'off' to me

Just my $0.02

:Handshake:

OP
OP
WHITEOUT

WHITEOUT

Dont Hate-Appreciate
Reaction score
Ya, was gonna get the Denali style running boards, but don't you have to have body cladding to get them to fit right? Could be way off on that, but from pics I see, need the side cladding to match up. think Esky running boards would fit better without cladding, and look good.

But since these are what I have, and not costing me anything except paint to get them painted. Is what it is for know. Just hoping people had suggestions on paint options, not type of running boards (no offense please, not being a jerk)

I hear ya on running boards on lowered rides. But think my Tahoe looks kinda weird without them now. I used to roll without them, does look good. But when I removed Sun. my 3yr old was NOT HAPPY!! lol, daddy, where are my steps??? So..... getting painted this afternoon.

Thanks guys, will get it figured out

Last edited:

Big Buttons

The SS Burb
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I planned on doing your second option the white with the step part black but I was going to actually paint it black not keep it the wannabe black thats on there. But I actually use the steps, when I step up to dry my roof when washing, I wash it a lot.

OP
OP
WHITEOUT

WHITEOUT

Dont Hate-Appreciate
Reaction score
lol,Nice, wannabe black. is there grades of black? just giving ya sh$t man. I see no point in actually painting it black if your going to be using it. Just a place for it to possibly peel up. But if done right, no worries anyways, and would look, better, i guess. Since I am lowered, I haven't used them once. For washing I step on inside door frame. But I like the look of them better then being off, and my kid is "making" me put them back on! lol

I'm still not sure which way yet and not getting painted till later this afternoon. decisions, decisions

Big Buttons

The SS Burb
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well everything else on your truck is white so eff it lol. but im doing it that way cuz I feel its too much white? but its your truck lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz