How much power is too much?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bloto88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey I have an 04 Yukon Denali and I was hoping to do some performance work with the motor. My truck only has 70k miles atm but after reading some other forums I am concerned about my front diff/ transmission being able to hold up...

If I'm right it's 325hp and 360lb/tq stock and trans if it's a 4l60e has a max of 370lb/tq and the 4l65e has a 380lb/tq... I thought it had a 65 but on another forum here I was informed it's a 60e on this truck.. (thanks to this guy for getting me to the right forums to ask this question!) I'll have to verify obviously what's on my truck but either way I'm guessing I'll need to put some work in the trans...

Anyone know what a stage 2 or 3 on either of these trans entails or typically costs?

BTW my end goal is around 400 hp if possible with CAI, headers, high flow exhaust system, mild cams, port and polish and a good tune. Trying to stay N/A, my wallet doesn't like the tag on the turbos/supers.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While you're waiting, you could read through this section. If you look, there's plenty of info here. I'm surprised nobody's chimed in yet. With that said, I have looked into doing a blower on my 02 Denali but decided not to after researching the weak links which are the front diff and the 4l60e. Seems the tranny is best dealt with by converting to a 4l80. As far as the front differential, I've unfortunately discovered that I would probably end up rebuilding it. Over and over. Exactly what point you run into these issues I'm unsure of. The tranny issues are the same regardless of 2wd 4wd or AWD. The AWD front diff is obviously a Denali issue. You can also join www.performancetrucks.net and read up there. Here's a link to a good 4l60e thread here. http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/best-4l60e-trans.75560/

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I was running ~550HP on my 04 Z71 Tahoe; Radix 112 11psi, LT headers, cam, springs/rods. No other mods to the transmission.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Heavychevyvito