How much extra power can one make without unwanted wear?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Replace the crappy-design fluid-filled motor mounts with solid rubber ones fron a Hummer H2 which are a solid RUBBER design like the previous generation or solid POLY from Atomic Fab (hard plastic design which is rougher at idle) and you can go ahead and install not only that tune and exhaust, but go ahead with the cam, roller rockers, long tube headers, and supercharger like I did on my 02 -which I did at 150k miles. It’s still going strong. Fun as hell to drive too. No extra wear except on everything. Thus the 16” Wilwood brakes.

Scrappycrow

Reaction score
FYI if you do the AFM delete you can reduce the TC slippage and get amazing mileage.
What is the interplay that's going on here?

I will be getting an HP Tuners MPVI3 soon and delve into adjusting things, but have to admit that learning everything is like drinking from a firehose, so I haven't run across this yet. Any suggestions on what to research WRT this?

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I will be getting an HP Tuners MPVI3 soon and delve into adjusting things, but have to admit that learning everything is like drinking from a firehose, so I haven't run across this yet. Any suggestions on what to research WRT this?
It's just some checkboxes or "disable" drop-down menus.

This source is A LOT more in-depth if you have time:

I own an '20 Express Van that has the L96/6L90e. Recently became aware HP Tuners now supports that model. Previously I have only done basic things like VATS delete, gear ratio change, etc on the Gen III engine vehicles. I will be purchasing the credits for our van hopefully this year and disabling the torque converter slippage settings. Luckily no DOD/AFM to worry about on that one. :)

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, strutaeng! I definitely have the time to spend to do it right.

Make sure you know absolutely what you’re doing with HPT if you go that route. There’s plenty of people that have destroyed both transmissions as well as engines by tuning them. One bad mistake and it’s over, all it takes is a couple “small” changes in the tune.

Scrappycrow

Reaction score
Make sure you know absolutely what you’re doing with HPT if you go that route. There’s plenty of people that have destroyed both transmissions as well as engines by tuning them. One bad mistake and it’s over, all it takes is a couple “small” changes in the tune.
Understood. That's good advice.

I've got a good bit of experience with engine tuning, running from carbs/distributors, to Electromotive TECII, to Megasquirt, and I've got a Holley Stealth Terminator (HP ECU) sitting on the shelf for my '57 Chevy. I have no transmission ECU tuning experience, though.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI if you do the AFM delete you can reduce the TC slippage and get amazing mileage. My best segment average is 28.1MpG.
1. Are you asking about reducing torque converter clutch slippage after deactivating V4 mode?
2. Or getting good MpGs despite deactivating V4 mode?

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am asking why torque converter clutch slippage is relevant to AFM.
I THINK it's something to do with the torque converter and/or its clutch staying locked during transitions from V8 to V4 mode and from V4 to V8 mode.

It's a great question. I hope someone lays down a good answer.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know if it's relevant, but..
stock setting, there is a target of 20 rpm slip for the TCC. 40 rpm if AFM is active.
People like to zero the slip apparently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20

Latest posts