How much oil loss is bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so I think the percentage to mileage varies greatly depending on many different conditions.
I was gonna say the same . Most of my miles are cross country hwy and a little rual, zero stop-n-go.

And maybe if the vehicle ever gets back to a dealer they may do an "update" of the software to fix their optimistic oil change interval program? Maybe mine hasn't been back? I know it hasn't (and won't) under my watch.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
I was gonna say the same . Most of my miles are cross country hwy and a little rual, zero stop-n-go.

And maybe if the vehicle ever gets back to a dealer they may do an "update" of the software to fix their optimistic oil change interval program? Maybe mine hasn't been back? I know it hasn't (and won't) under my watch.

Lol
I get that.

I have been preparing a system to "seal" every oil cap and dipstick.
Fancy safety wire pliers so I can make it pretty and look professional...
Little holes on each cap so I can lock it in place.
If they want to touch anything, you need to cut the wire.

Over kill?
Yes.
:derp:

One time... and that guy od'd or something a year ago...
But the lesson has been learned.

Tahoe needs to get dropped off at the dealer for that airbag bs eventually... :violin2:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With each succeeding generation GM has updated the algorithm to improve accuracy which includes adjusting for the oil standards in use at the time.

Mine didn't have a 100 miles on it since the oil change and she acted like she wanted to spin the tires, leaping away from each stop on the way to the highway. She cruised effortlessly to speed and just wanted to keep on going, more eager than usual! I might just reduce those oil change intervals and see how she likes it.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've also got a stack of air bag replacement reminders. Some day.......

Maybe, sooner as my wife is threatening not to drive with me in the truck, until it is fixed. On the other hand, maybe I should just let the pile of replacement reminders continue to grow.....

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Maybe, sooner as my wife is threatening not to drive with me in the truck, until it is fixed. On the other hand, maybe I should just let the pile of replacement reminders continue to grow.....
Go 'round back and find the guy who does the work and see if he meets your expectations. I prayed and got a young man who took great care not to damage the dash because he knew about their issues.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol
I get that.

I have been preparing a system to "seal" every oil cap and dipstick.
Fancy safety wire pliers so I can make it pretty and look professional...
Little holes on each cap so I can lock it in place.
If they want to touch anything, you need to cut the wire.

Over kill?
Yes.
:derp:

One time... and that guy od'd or something a year ago...
But the lesson has been learned.

Tahoe needs to get dropped off at the dealer for that airbag bs eventually... :violin2:
In aviation MX its called "safety wiring". I have the weird pliers and the stainless wire because I have had a homebuilt aircraft for almost 30 yrs. Everything must be "saferty wired" or lock nuts, cotter pins, but not nylocks.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I've got a stack of the reminders too. Maybe someday

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abruck