How much oil loss is bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

optimusprime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed my oil today. I went a ways over the regular minder, probably 1-2k. I’ve always gotten a full pan out of it when I drain the oil but today o only drained about 3ish quarts total. It’s never been that low. It doesn’t leak for sure. Is this something I should be concerned about? I don’t notice any burnt oil smells with the exhaust or with the hood open.

Reaction score
I think I've previously read on here that GM states that 1qt between changes is normal for our engines. I think it was that, might've been more, but I do know that I thought it was rather excessive.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed my oil today. I went a ways over the regular minder, probably 1-2k. I’ve always gotten a full pan out of it when I drain the oil but today o only drained about 3ish quarts total. It’s never been that low. It doesn’t leak for sure. Is this something I should be concerned about? I don’t notice any burnt oil smells with the exhaust or with the hood open.

9500 miles? Most oils are dead at 5000 miles. If you want to check for damage or issues, at your next oil change send off a sample for analysis to Blackstone Labs. They will send the bottles out for free now so they'll be ready for you at your next oil change.

Depending on how we drive, we hit 5,000 miles when the OLM is between 30-50%.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The solution is to check your oil level regularly; it's the blood of your engine. It would be rare for any vehicle to NOT burn any oil, so expect some loss. How much, you'll be able to tell if you check it once a month or on a regular basis, adding as needed.

Might also check why the low oil level warning isn't showing up.

OP
OP
O

optimusprime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I thought the oil life meter was 5,000 miles. I used to track mileage but I just go with the minder now. Probably should go back to tracking. Everything seems to be running well so I’ll just keep an eye on it for now.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I thought the oil life meter was 5,000 miles. I used to track mileage but I just go with the minder now. Probably should go back to tracking. Everything seems to be running well so I’ll just keep an eye on it for now.
On the 900s it is 7500 miles. I used to say to myself, 33% and would change it but mileage could still get too high for my liking if highway miles. Have had 50% OLM be 5K miles and 30% OLM be 5K miles.

Haven't seen you on in a while, what have you been up to?

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't go more than 5k miles between changes, roughly 50% remaining on the DIC. Run the best synthetic oil $ can buy.
Here's what I've seen on my vehicle the last few years:
35% remaing @ 7800 miles
50% remaining @ 6200 miles
25% remaining @ 8100 miles
25% remaining @ 8600 miles
13% remaining @ 10,200 miles

Reaction score
I just changed my oil the end of May (9 days ago} and the oil life monitor was at 20% and it had 4500 miles since last oil change, which was in October (7 months ago), so I think the percentage to mileage varies greatly depending on many different conditions.

Previous oil changes have been more in the 5000 mile range and OLM in the 30-35% range and between 5-6 months.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

A general rule I've always known is conventional oil degrades and burns much faster after it eclipses the 3,000-5,000 mile mark, depending on how crappy the oil is.

The Oil Life Monitor (OLM) calculates from a handful of factors to estimate the oil's life. It doesn't actually analyze it. It just makes an educated guess by the run time, idle time, temps, loads miles, etc. the engine is subjected to after every OLM reset. The OLM is known to be very lenient and "those that know" don't trust it and stick to a regular schedule.

+1 for changing it every 5K, regardless of what the DIC says. If you insist on going by the DIC, use synthetic and change it when the DIC is at 50%. Get it outta your head that you're being wasteful or over-changing it. The cost and hassle of that extra oil change or two per year is FAR less than that of a major engine repair or replacement.

Oh, and screw what GM says is "acceptable" for oil consumption. They say a quart every 2,000 miles is acceptable. BS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2