How much is enough?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hoemer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi guys!

First post.

Lookin to upgrade the factory stereo in my 99 hoe. Nothing outrageous.

Thinking Pioneer premier or Kenwood excelon HU for ipod interface.. pretty nice new 6.5 components in front, stock or middling coax's in rear doors. I've got new yet to be installed 4x10's to replace the blown stockers.

Planning rear's as fill only, so I thought I'd run them off the HU, and amp the fronts and add a sub. I'm not opposed to 4 channel amp if needed though.

I was thinking 100w/ch rms in front, but unsure what I need for a sub and sub amp. I have noticed some 5 channel amps that are 75wx4 plus varying sub amp.

My question is how much do I need? Is 75w/ch enough for the front or would 100 be better. I have no idea regarding the sub(s)/ampification....1 10?...2 10s?...1 12?....????

I listen mostly to rock and alot of acoustic guitar stuff, so I'm looking for clean, tight bass not boomy or muddy if that helps. SQ is my primary focus here.

I'm hoping one of you audio gurus can help.

Thanks!

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

First post...

...I listen mostly to rock and alot of acoustic guitar stuff, so I'm looking for clean, tight bass not boomy or muddy if that helps. SQ is my primary focus here.

I'm hoping one of you audio gurus can help.

Thanks!

Welcome to the site.

I'd go with a 10" sub in a sealed enclosure. Look for something that can handle a decent amount of power and an amp to match. It's always better to go with slightly more power than you need so you have the acoustical headroom if needed, this way you're not pushing the amp or sub to the brink of distortion. Try to keep the amp at 4 ohm. Lower impedences can provide more power in most amps, but at the same time, cause more distortion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz