How many miles did you get out of your original Transmission?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

soonrfish

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2009 suburban- went out at 125k. I purchases with 122k, fluid looked good, but no way of knowing maintenance history. Just curious what those of you got out of the original tranny, especially if you are an original owner. My in laws sold their 1 owner with 230k and original tranny.

Just wondering if the Chevy 100k miles stigma is real....

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
I did a proactive rebuild on my 09 6l80 at about 180k.
I didn't see much wrong with it, clutches had plenty of life, bushings were fine.
only issue I found was in the 2-4 clutch pack.
It had a broken wave plate.
No symptoms at all, I don't think it would have affected it long term.

biggest thing to watch out for is the converter.
These are known to burn clutches due to the amount of slippage that's allowed.
Most recommend to replace the converter as a proactive measure since it will take out the transmisison/pump when it goes.

And my original converter was fine, I tore it apart and I found plenty of clutch material left.
1680803088823.png

They seem pretty stout IMO.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say it depends on what transmission you have. The 4l60E are known to go 200k+ on average, I am at 186k on mine. It seems like I read about more problems with the 6l80e but that could just be because it is more common in this generation of Tahoe.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am knocking on the door at 350K on a 2nd trans. I do not know when it was rebuilt. I bought the truck @ 290K. It seems to work fine, fluid is nice and clear. Have not done a pan drop yet.

However I do get a load bang sometimes on a cold startup like it is stuck in gear. Don't know what that is all about. Happens randomly a few times a month or it might go a few months without doing it. Been doing that for a few years now.

salisburyv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
transmission was replaced when i bought the truck, because it failed the day after i brought it home. they had to know. Truck had 125 on it. they replaced with a used one from LKQ w 91000 on it. i'm at 179k now. the fluid was replaced when it was installed. still looks clean. very common

RedInCo

Reaction score
2010 Yukon Denali AWD 6.2 6 speed. Bought it used with 40k on it, the PO did tow with it but I don't know how much. I just sold it at 160k, including towing a 7000 lb TT for 59k of those miles. Tranny worked fine the whole time. I did have the fluid changed a few times.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not this Gen, but I have a 96 with what I believe is the original 4l60e with 325k miles on it. I dropped the pan and did the filter when I first got it, like 20 years ago at this point with high 100k range I wanna say 175k but not sure, it's been forever ago and 3 states haha. but since then I've used the vacuum extractor to suck out the fluid from the dip stick and top it back off. it only gets like 3 or 4qt out, but done it probably 5 or 6 times now. it's still going.

funny it's had a slight delay to shift into reverse since I got it, when I first got it it was like eh, it will need a tranny soon but it's a good deal. so I picked it up. still going all these years later.

I feel like good fluid is the best thing for these trannys. that and keeping them cool. mine has the tow package, so all the extras coolers.

my 2011 has the hybrid tranny that I believe is based off a Allison hybrid bus tranny tech back then, just smaller in a multi manufacture collaboration to bring it to the truck world. 145k, never seems to get over 167deg even when towing, doesn't have a torque converter but does have some electric motors and some veritable gear ratio thing going on. so no clue what the life expectancy of it is, but I plan to keep fresh fluid in it and just got a test sample back from Blackstone labs and it seems all is good wear wise from there.

if you're curious, a fluid sample test will tell you a lot about what kinda wear you have going on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TIMMY_B