How long did your starter last?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ratled

Reaction score
My other GMT 800 started failed to start 1st time this morning - it's never done that I'm the original owner. Just wondering what the typical time frame for the starters to go out.

Thanks

ratled

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
by the time you hit 100,000 miles you can expect just about every last part bolted to the engine to fail. they are all wear item, starter, alt, water pumps, ac clutches/ compressors, idlers, power steering pump, clutch fans.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
on my 00 I don't recall ever replacing the starter I ran it up to 324k and sold it
on my 03 the starter had to be replaced at around 180k it had developed a flat spot and became intermittent
on my 04 starter was not replaced and it was sold a 260k
on my 05 it's at 165k and starter works fine
on my 12 it's at 140k starter works fine
on my 18 it's at 40k starter works fine

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like many other things, lifespan would depend a lot (not entirely) on how many times it cycles or gets used.

A truck with high miles at long-distances might have the starter used only a couple times a day.
A truck kept local, used for deliveries or other commercial use, might have lower miles. But depending on its use, could kick the starter dozens of times (or many more) in a day, if a lot of stop and go is happening.

I would guess averaged mixed driving would probably go the 100k.
All highway driving probably a lot longer than 100k.
All stop and go (like deliveries, work, etc.) might be much less than 100k.

Age would not necessarily have anything to do with having to replace a starter. Kept in storage or a museum, you may never need to replace a factory starter that is in good condition.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 97 Yukon (RIP) had the starter replaced at 160,000 milers. My 07 Yukon XL had the starter replaced at 130,000 miles.

As you can see from all of the replies above, the results very.

I suggest that you first make sure that you issue is in fact your starter, and if so, purchase a replacement through Rock Auto.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz