How does ordering / allocation work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The allocation number will tell all Chevrolet dealers exactly how many trucks/suvs GM will build for them over next few months. Unfortunately, this does not constrain the dealership from pre-selling more than the earned allocation, as GM does not manage this process in any way. In other words, a dealer (knowing they only have two Denali’s arriving within the next six months) can pre-sell 20 and simply tell the customer that the order has been put in. For the 18 customers who are at the bottom of the list, they are at the mercy of whatever story the dealer tells them regarding the production of the vehicle. Dealers are under no obligation to disclose how many of their earned allocations are spoken for when making pre-order sales. As such, many dealers don’t disclose this information to the customer because if they did, you would probably walk right out the door.

ARCTRUST

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have been waiting 8 months for my Yukon Denali too.
I reached out to GM Chat and they confirmed what I was told by the dealer.
The dealer said I was number 2 on his list and showed me, the guy before me was waiting 9 months. My vehicle is "constrained" because of my electronics package.
So my dealer isnt lying to me - as far as I can tell. But I dont know if he has been jockeying the wait list either. Come on.... 8 months?

cjlewis

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does anyone know how this works? You go to a dealer to place an order (March), they tell you they have allocation but can only place your order in April - does it make sense? Do they get allocation monthly? Can they only place an order when they get allocation from GM? Is the allocation on a specific model? Trim? Features/package? If they place it when they have allocation, does it mean the GM will accept the order? Why wouldn't the GM accept the order if the dealer has an allocation?
I’m waiting until June to hopefully place an order for a 23 Yukon. Does anyone have experience placing an order? Specifically, do you know the price once you place the order or will a dealer try to up charge you when the vehicle comes in 6 months later? Thanks

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The allocation number will tell all Chevrolet dealers exactly how many trucks/suvs GM will build for them over next few months. Unfortunately, this does not constrain the dealership from pre-selling more than the earned allocation, as GM does not manage this process in any way. In other words, a dealer (knowing they only have two Denali’s arriving within the next six months) can pre-sell 20 and simply tell the customer that the order has been put in. For the 18 customers who are at the bottom of the list, they are at the mercy of whatever story the dealer tells them regarding the production of the vehicle. Dealers are under no obligation to disclose how many of their earned allocations are spoken for when making pre-order sales. As such, many dealers don’t disclose this information to the customer because if they did, you would probably walk right out the door.
The process is definitely a bit different from Ford.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660