How does ordering / allocation work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

c0k000k

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does anyone know how this works? You go to a dealer to place an order (March), they tell you they have allocation but can only place your order in April - does it make sense? Do they get allocation monthly? Can they only place an order when they get allocation from GM? Is the allocation on a specific model? Trim? Features/package? If they place it when they have allocation, does it mean the GM will accept the order? Why wouldn't the GM accept the order if the dealer has an allocation?

NicolePop

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is a huge confusion for me also. We ordered 5 weeks ago and our Yukon Denali XL has still not been accepted. Last week our dealer told us there were 12 orders ahead of us. This week they told us GMC only accepted 1 so there are still 11 ahead of ours. It is because of their allocations or something else. We tried to place our order based on the constraint list at the time to avoid delays. We were told it would be here in June but I am not sure based on what they are saying now.

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you may have placed your order based on the constraint list at the time of your order, but if there were 11 Denali XLs in front of you and they only were allocated 1, then you're out of luck for that round. Honestly would be surprised if it was actually 11 XLs in front of you which wouldn't make sense as the allocation is based on model/trim/constrained options (unless it's a large volume dealer).

not to burst your bubble, but when your time comes up and they have an allocation for a Denali XL and you have a "now constrained option" you may get passed over, or at least hopefully the dealer asks you about modifying your order

the basics are -
you place an order, if the dealer doesn't have an allocation for the trim level you are ordering, the order is placed, but not officially accepted. This is the aspect of GM's ordering that doesn't make sense, all it does is create confusion...you shouldn't be able to place an order if it can't be placed in the queue immediately - even if it means a 2-3 month wait
The order won't be accepted until the dealer has an allocation and none of your options are being constrained...an order can still be accepted when some options are on constraint if the dealer get an allocation for that constraint

so the dealer may have to get an allocation for both the trim level and any option that may be constrained - example would be if they got an allocation for a Denali XL but didn't get an allocation for the sunroof and the pano was part of your order, then GM wouldn't accept it even if the roof wasnt constrained when you initially ordered.

We ordered a Yukon AT4 with the rear media back at the first of Dec and it still hasn't been accepted (we already gave up on it and shifted to a Z71 without the rear media)

Rradford45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s a very frustrating process. We went to a dealership near us and placed and order the first week of January. After reading on this forum I noticed that the dealership should at least have an order number. 3 weeks went by and we talked to the bank about financing. We went up to the dealership the next day to talk to the salesman and he was with another customer. We asked to speak to the sales manager. After speaking with him, he informed that our order would never get accepted because we had the rear media system and max towing. We told them to take it off. Walked out and went to a bigger dealership January 22. They placed the order on January 25 and we got accepted March 15. Waiting for a TPW. Still haven’t heard from the first dealership and I never cancelled the order. The GM chat is not to much help. We got told by them weeks ago we got accepted and the next we were told our order had been placed but not accepted. Good luck and hope you get your vehicle soon.

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep…agree all the way around, GMs process definitely could use some fine tuning, and then you are lucky if a dealer puts forth any additional effort. I understand the dealer wanting to enter the order, but the conversation needs to be had at that point if someone is ordering when a known constraint (like the rear media)

recently ordered a Ram truck and Chrysler at least doesn’t have that extra step of having an order accepted…and dealer understood all the ins and outs of ordering.

talked to a Honda dealer and they relayed that Honda doesnt even offer special ordering for customers (hard to believe)….said the only option they could give me was to put me on their list for a specific model/trim and when they ”got to me” they’d let me know…said it’d be at least 6 months

Tinker

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yep…agree all the way around, GMs process definitely could use some fine tuning, and then you are lucky if a dealer puts forth any additional effort. I understand the dealer wanting to enter the order, but the conversation needs to be had at that point if someone is ordering when a known constraint (like the rear media)

recently ordered a Ram truck and Chrysler at least doesn’t have that extra step of having an order accepted…and dealer understood all the ins and outs of ordering.

talked to a Honda dealer and they relayed that Honda doesnt even offer special ordering for customers (hard to believe)….said the only option they could give me was to put me on their list for a specific model/trim and when they ”got to me” they’d let me know…said it’d be at least 6 months
Toyota is same way. You cannot order. When the dealer is allocated model and trim, then they go in order placed (date) of who wants that combo. From there you can make minor changes (like color).

Z15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't take credit for this info...
Allocations – The number of a particular vehicle model a dealer is assigned by GM.

Consensus – The planning and forecasting of vehicles between the dealer and GM. A quantity of vehicles that a dealer requests for a given production period from GM. Based on GM data and constraints they may or may not receive the amount requested.

Constraints – Items that are unavailable for ordering due to plant or supplier issues. This could be a certain option or an entire model of vehicle.

Event code – The status that indicates a certain point in the life cycle of a vechicle.

GM OrderWORKBENCH – The website used for ordering GM vehicles.

Final Allocation by Week Report – This report shows a dealer’s final allocation quantities for the specified production period.

Pass 1 – The preliminary pass of the vehicle order process which looks at only the quantity of preliminary orders that equals the lower of a dealer’s allocation quantity and desired quantity.

PDI – Pre-Delivery Inspection

Preferenced – Order has been sent to one of the GM production management systems

Preliminary order – A vehicle order that has been submitted to GM through the OrderWORKBENCH system. It would have successfully gone through Pass One. These orders have an Event Code of 1100 (Preliminary Order Accepted)

Priority number – Indicates the dealer’s preference for the placement of a preliminary order. The lower the number the higher the priority. A sold order defaults to a priority of 1, stock orders default to a priority of 99. Priority 0 means that the dealer does not want GM to place the order. The dealer can change these numbers as needed.

Sold order – A preliminary order that is placed for a customer

TPP – Target Production Period – The date range used in order to define the effective period for a marketing or allocation constraint. Also the period when a specified number of vehicles is scheduled to be produced, typically a 1-2 week period.

TPW – Target Production Week – The week in which the specified vehicle is expected to be built.

How it all works:

Consensus:

Dealer puts in for requested quantities of different model groups

Dealer allocation quantity changes from “production consensus” to “final allocation” after GM resolves any variances between the approved production volumes and production consensus quantities (needs some verification on the days referenced below)

Final Allocation by Week Report is released mid month on Wednesday

Report shows allocations by week for 2 week timeframe

Allocations are assigned on Thursday each week

Dealers have until the following Tuesday to resolve constraint issues before orders are pulled

Ordering:

Order is configured in GM OrderWORKBENCH

Customer information is assigned to order

Order is checked for constraints

Order number is generated

By default the sold order is given priority number of 1

After consensus and dealer receives allocation they can apply it to an order

If there are no constraints it will be preferenced

If no action is taken the system will pull the lowest priority number order (1-99)

If multiple orders are at the same priority number it will pull the oldest order first (need verification)

As long as there are no constraints it will be preferenced

If there are constraints the dealer would have to either re-configure the order or allow a non-constrained order through

Order is eventually run through Pass 2, 3 and possibly a 4th optional one that can be used and GM may also use

Z15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DOSP - Dealer Order Submission Process

The weekly process consists of 4 stages.

1. Constraints Distribution - Dealers are informed on constraints to review before placing orders. (A Constraint is a limit placed on specific build configurations.)

2. Dealer Order Submission - Dealers can order on Thursday, Friday or no later than midnight on Saturday. (You can submit orders earlier but you don't know the constraints.)

3. The 4-Pass Process - GM will attempt to place each dealer’s orders on Mondays using a 4-Pass process. (At this point a dealer may get more or less than what they were allocated.)

4. Dealer Review - You can review your placed orders for changes or replacements until Tuesday at 9pm ET. That's when the accepted orders are sent to production control.

firsttimetahoe

Reaction score
The most important tip I can provide from researching this whole process that you make sure the dealer actually submits your order to GM.

This is where I’ve seen people get the run around.

Depending on the trim and features you have included, once your order is submitted it may take a while for GM to formally accept the order I’ve read how people stuck on this phase for several months. This may be because something is on constraint.

However - there are dealers who can only
Order so many cars/trims per allotment. And the popular dealers tend to have a wait list. So you can theoretically wait months before your dealer ever gets up to you on the list to submit your order to GM. Then you’re waiting for GM to accept the order.

Every dealer is different in terms of what they will tell you. If your dealer isn’t telling you or you feel like they are just lying…your best bet is to politely harass GM / Chevy Chat and the support line until someone tells you something. I managed to get someone to take down all my info, my dealers info and they reached out to the dealer to find the out that they infact did submit my order to GM. It happened around a month after I went to the dealer to order it and put down a deposit

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar