How do I do the wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iwillnc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
First off I'm not an electrical major but I know the basic stuff, anyways.

I was wondering on the 2003-2006 tahoes, mines 2003, where would i pull in wired from the firewall

How do I get electricity in the first place, do i need to make a new fuse slot, how Do I get the electricity in a way that doesn't feed off some other source

As in my idea is to create a control panel with switches for exterior lighting or other exterior electronics

I'm sure the majority of the people in this section are audiophiles so while I'm here lemme ask, at the rear of the truck their is a cutout piece on the side of the rear where the jack is located that's to my best knowledge where you would put a sub, I personally enjoy my factory radio and factory speakers but is the wiring all back their to just cutout the piece and place a sub

---------- Post added at 08:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 PM ----------

Shoot just realized I puty this in the 07 + section can someone move it the the correct 2000-2006 forum?

OP
OP
I

iwillnc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

I was wondering on the 2003-2006 tahoes, mines 2003, where would i pull in wired from the firewall

How do I get electricity in the first place, do i need to make a new fuse slot, how Do I get the electricity in a way that doesn't feed off some other source

As in my idea is to create a control panel with switches for exterior lighting or other exterior electronics

I'm sure the majority of the people in this section are audiophiles so while I'm here lemme ask, at the rear of the truck their is a cutout piece on the side of the rear where the jack is located that's to my best knowledge where you would put a sub, I personally enjoy my factory radio and factory speakers but is the wiring all back their to just cutout the piece and place a sub

vatahoelt

Full Access Member
Reaction score

i'll let others handle your control panel question.

But for the rear area, you'll need to buy a sub box that will fit behind the trim piece. there is no wiring back there, so you would have to run all the wiring yourself.

OP
OP
I

iwillnc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
wiring the sub

Where would i connect the sub wires at on the radio system?

vatahoelt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you would need to add an additional amp in order to get it to work.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Well I think part of the basic stuff is knowing where to get the proper voltage haha! Since you are wanting to get voltage for exterior electronics you will need 4 guage power wire ran to the battery, then ran through the firewall to the interior of the car, where you can connect up a distrutbution block to connect multiple accessories to it. And then so on.....

VikingFan

Reaction score

---------- Post added at 08:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 PM ----------

Shoot just realized I puty this in the 07 + section can someone move it the the correct 2000-2006 forum?

There should already be a hole in the firewall that you can run a wire through. Hop under the dash on the same side as your battery and you'll find a grommet somewhere. You might even find one on the opposite from the battery that isn't used. I loved it when that happened. You'll have to run fused power to the battery and then back to your amp location. Depending on the amp power requirements, you'll have to decide on the wire gauge. 4 awg will serve a LOT of power. Many amps are good with 8-10awg but if you are adding a lot of additional draw, you might be better off with 4. Then, as Modded stated, you can either put in a distribution block (typically used for multiple audio electronics but it would work for anything I suppose) or you can just wire up each item individually. My guess is that if you want switches for external things you'd probably want them closer to the driver no?

Last edited:

NoPh33rRaCiNg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the drivers side there is a large grommet with a ton of small wires running through, carefully cut a slit in that and you can run the wire through there. I did 2 runs of 0 gauge through that.

TnTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the drivers side there is a large grommet with a ton of small wires running through, carefully cut a slit in that and you can run the wire through there. I did 2 runs of 0 gauge through that.

just curious after you got your wires through the firewall, how or where did you run them to get to back, i have one run of 0 gauge running under the footrails with the plastic cover on the drivers side, cant see two runs going under there

YUKISM

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

On my Yuk I also did a run through a large Grommet on the drivers side,just curious of the location of the grommet you used.
The one I used was on the very top of the fire wall but I can't see 2 runs of 0 gauge fitting in there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bubba6

Latest posts