Hole in cylinder 1 piston

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just swap your current intake and exhaust manifolds onto the new motor. Now would be a great time to clean the intake manifold. I'm sure there's plenty of greasy, if not liquid oil build-up. Invest the < $20 in a catch can while you're at it.

OP
OP
J

JayH

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So we're about ready to swap in the new motor, i have some parts coming in friday to finish it up before installing. Is there anything special i need to do when filling it with dexcool? I thought about getting a pressure test kit to make sure that the cooling system isn't leaking anywhere before filling. But should i do a flush since I'm not sure if the last owner used dexcool or the green liquid? while loading the motor, i saw orange liquid spill out, but he said he used green antifreeze? I'm thinking of doing a flush with distilled water first, but wanted to see if i needed to do anything special with filling it since the radiator and assuming the motor has been empty for a while. thanks again.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So we're about ready to swap in the new motor, i have some parts coming in friday to finish it up before installing. Is there anything special i need to do when filling it with dexcool? I thought about getting a pressure test kit to make sure that the cooling system isn't leaking anywhere before filling. But should i do a flush since I'm not sure if the last owner used dexcool or the green liquid? while loading the motor, i saw orange liquid spill out, but he said he used green antifreeze? I'm thinking of doing a flush with distilled water first, but wanted to see if i needed to do anything special with filling it since the radiator and assuming the motor has been empty for a while. thanks again.

I know this is a late reply, but I missed this post and wanted to reply anyway. I would flush a used motor just to be on the safe side. There's no better time to flush, replace gaskets/seals, etc. Are you sure the orange liquid was DexCool? With a used iron block motor that sat for a even a week or two, the empty water jackets will develop surface rust. The remaining water or coolant inside will take on a rusty color that looks very similar to DexCool. I'd flush it then flush the flush (in other words, do a hell of a flush job), then fill it with your choice of coolant. I have a really in-depth flush process that involves a box of Cascade detergent, a Prestone chemical flush and many gallons of bottled distilled water. The insides of the hoses are literally squeaky clean when I'm finished.

OP
OP
J

JayH

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know this is a late reply, but I missed this post and wanted to reply anyway. I would flush a used motor just to be on the safe side. There's no better time to flush, replace gaskets/seals, etc. Are you sure the orange liquid was DexCool? With a used iron block motor that sat for a even a week or two, the empty water jackets will develop surface rust. The remaining water or coolant inside will take on a rusty color that looks very similar to DexCool. I'd flush it then flush the flush (in other words, do a hell of a flush job), then fill it with your choice of coolant. I have a really in-depth flush process that involves a box of Cascade detergent, a Prestone chemical flush and many gallons of bottled distilled water. The insides of the hoses are literally squeaky clean when I'm finished.

Can you send that to me in a pm? I flushed it with four gallons of distilled water and it came out orange on the plastic bin I drained it into. Then I filled it with dexcool yesterday. But I don’t mind flushing it again properly so I don’t risk anything gelling up. Thanks.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you send that to me in a pm? I flushed it with four gallons of distilled water and it came out orange on the plastic bin I drained it into. Then I filled it with dexcool yesterday. But I don’t mind flushing it again properly so I don’t risk anything gelling up. Thanks.

I haven't forgotten the write-up. Just haven't had the time to devote to typing it all out! I'm sure with what you've done so far that yours is fine, so you shouldn't feel pressed to do a "super flush" ASAP.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unrolledtoiletpap