Hole in cylinder 1 piston

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a motor with the 6.0 heads on it. I know that without them being milled, i'll lose compression from what I've read. Since this will be an everyday truck, and it comes with the intake and heads, both 6.0, other than compression loss, will the motor suffer using stock 6.0 heads and intake on it? And also will my 5.3 harness plug and play to this intake? I have my intake, injectors, and rail if not. Thanks
You need to state the casting number on the heads as 6.0s came with many different heads. 317 on truck motors, 243 on GTOs etc to know what u really have. The compression drop is from the dished pistons like the damaged one you have. That would indicate it's a LQ4. You can bump compression by running slightly thinner head gaskets, but unless you are familiar with engines just run the factory MLS head gasket to avoid grenading the motor by creating piston/valve interference..

Everything will transfer over as long as you have a 24x reluctor wheel on the crank. You can usually tell this based on the crank sensor being next to the starter instead of the front cam cover.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

JayH

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
the heads are 317. everything else on that motor is stock 5.3 like mine. so other than the lower compression, the truck will run normal? I'm not interested in compensating for lost compression unless i need to. Thanks

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't know u were putting the heads on a 5.3. That motor is going to need new head bolts and probably gaskets Sounds like they just threw parts together. Either way i like pt.net for engine mods..they seem to know their stuff.. check out this thread about 317s on a 5.3. It may a bit of a dog in a heavy tahoe.
https://www.performancetrucks.net/f...-317-heads-how-much-lower-compression-395044/

OP
OP
J

JayH

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I found another 5.3 with decent miles for 200 for a complete long block. The guy is getting rid of it since he swapped in another motor since this one was sludged up. I planned on replacing timing gear, gaskets all around, lifters and oil pump (maybe). Would I be safe steam cleaning the crud out of this motor with all the rotating assembly still in the block with the heads off? And for that matter, could i steam the heads with the rockers and push rods out? Thanks guys, you all have been super helpful.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check around to some local shops and see what thier prices are to dip the motor for you. im not sure what kind kf solution some of the shops use but ive seen 2 different blocks go into a soak bath and come out looking like a bare clean block. making sure the return ports and such are clear are going to be your biggest problem besides if it sludged up means it wasn't cared for. bearings and stuff are probably shot so your question about steam cleaning it half assembled i wouldn't. ive seen plenty of the gm motors sludged up from lack of regular oil changes.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's best to send the block and heads out to be cleaned and sonic tested for cracks. This is a standard service and reasonably priced.

Stick with your original motor. Once you get the block broken down, get out your calipers and dics and measure everything to see if the crankshaft is still in spec. A machine shop can turn the crank down if needs be and press on a new set of pistons for you. Of course, you'll need a manual or trust in the shop.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the casting number on the heads. 706s just leave them alone.. Chances are if it's sludged up its either been neglected or eating cooolant like @swathdiver said. I have a sludged up motor in my garage and it's 100% from cracked 706 heads. I would be ok with running the block again, but I would tear it down and let a machine shop work the bottom end to make sure the bearings are good with new heads. I would look around for one with a known history that was rear ended or something. A lot of people running good junkyard motors so they're out there..

Last edited:

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the casting number on the heads. 706s just leave them alone.. Chances are if it's sludged up its either been neglected or eating command like @swathdiver said. I have a sludged up motor in my garage and it's 100% from cracked 706 heads. I would be ok with running the block again, but I would tear it down and let a machine shop work the bottom end to make sure the bearings are good with new heads. I would look around for one with a known history that was rear ended or something. A lot of people running good junkyard motors so they're out there..

dropped a motor in a truck a while ago the owner yanked out of a pick a part truck. swapped the distributor and he was on his way.... more or less rest was his fault and its another story.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cervantesjesus174

Latest posts