high performance Radiator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
It looks like my radiator is starting to fail..
Slight coolant leak around the tanks...

1. I do a lot of slow running off road at rock crawling speeds sometime.

2. Stock motor for now but, I am considering installing a 7.0 or 7.3

3. I live in Arizona so in the summer I drive in 115 degree weather sometime.

4. I drive at least 60 or 80 miles at high speed off pavement a week. Unmaintained dirt roads at 60+ mph.

5. I would like to keep my electric fans and everything else original.

6. Auto trans with cooler... I would consider a trans cooler outside the radiator.

7. I sometime travel up to 250 to 300 miles off pavement at a time.

8. I have 195,000 miles on it so far and hope it will go to 500,000 miles with proper maint.

I of course prefer not to break the bank but, I also understand the concept of buy once cry once... lol I just don't want to cry to hard... lol I am hoping for something under $300.00

So what do you experts think???

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I have to wonder wouldn't a separate trans oil cooler be better too?

Define better.

The advantage of the transmission cooler inside the radiator is that it acts as a transmission fluid warmer to help get your transmission up to operating temperature faster. Once the transmission fluid reaches beyond 192°- 194°, which is normal operating temperature for your engines coolant system, it then starts acting as a cooler.

This is especially helpful in colder climates. But even where I live in FL it actually takes a while to get the transmission up to normal temperature and mine goes through the radiator before going through the external cooler.

Proper fluid temperature is important because it helps boil off condensation that builds up in the fluid from the heating and cooling process, be it transmission fluid or oil. That is why vehicles that only make short trips and people who don't let their vehicles warm up to operating temperature before driving should change their fluids more frequently.

My two bits.

OP
OP
Tozan

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
Define better.

The advantage of the transmission cooler inside the radiator is that it acts as a transmission fluid warmer to help get your transmission up to operating temperature faster. Once the transmission fluid reaches beyond 192°- 194°, which is normal operating temperature for your engines coolant system, it then starts acting as a cooler.

This is especially helpful in colder climates. But even where I live in FL it actually takes a while to get the transmission up to normal temperature and mine goes through the radiator before going through the external cooler.

Proper fluid temperature is important because it helps boil off condensation that builds up in the fluid from the heating and cooling process, be it transmission fluid or oil. That is why vehicles that only make short trips and people who don't let their vehicles warm up to operating temperature before driving should change their fluids more frequently.

My two bits.

Thanks, I can see where that would make sense.

Last time I pulled a trailer my trans temps went up to 270 degrees with the motor running at 225 when pulling bigger hills. I was pulling it across the high desert and it was 100+ out...

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Thanks, I can see where that would make sense.

Last time I pulled a trailer my trans temps went up to 270 degrees with the motor running at 225 when pulling bigger hills. I was pulling it across the high desert and it was 100+ out...

The 40k transmission cooler is probably the best, most used cooler on the forum here.

If you are in colder climates it is a good idea to get the thermostatic bypass so your transmission fluid will warm up faster.

If you aren't already monitoring your engine temperature via the OBD2 port you should try it. It is well documented that the factory temperature gauge reads inaccurately by design.

It will show 210° when up to temperature but the OBD2 shows the actual temperature as 192°- 194°.

Mickey_7106

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally, i would get an external cooler with a fan and wire it for a manual on/off switch. Crawling in that Arizona heat, im sure it doesn't take much to bring those temps up quick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bekahgentry

Latest posts