High idle in 2000 Tahoe while in stop and go traffic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dman76

Reaction score
I think I narrowed down the symptoms of this. If I am just driving in normal no traffic conditions, whether on the freeway or even on side streets stopping at normal traffic lights, everything is fine. If I am in heavy stop and go traffic for awhile, the idle is very high (around 1100-1200) when I put it in neutral and it stays like that until I turn the engine off. I can start it back up 10 seconds or so later and the idle is back to normal. Does this sound like the IAC needs to be cleaned?

OP
OP
D

dman76

Reaction score
Ok I will start with that as I don't know if it has ever been cleaned. I have watched some videos on it and have seen a couple of different ways of it being done. Is it better to remove the whole throttle body to do it? And if so, anything else I should clean while I have it off? When you say relearn, does that just mean it relearns on its own after you reconnect the battery? Thank you.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I will start with that as I don't know if it has ever been cleaned. I have watched some videos on it and have seen a couple of different ways of it being done. Is it better to remove the whole throttle body to do it? And if so, anything else I should clean while I have it off? When you say relearn, does that just mean it relearns on its own after you reconnect the battery? Thank you.
Its best to remove the throttle body and do a complete and thorough clean. Be very careful as to not scratch or nick the inner diameter of the throttle body especially around where the butterfly seats once closed.

Watch this video for a better idea of what you are going to be into with throttle body removed and the relearn procedure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thydrick

Latest posts