High FT diagnostics with sprays

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey team,

02 Yukon 5.3 FF 216K miles

Trying to chase down what I believe is an intake leak somewhere, high LT fuel trims 25% both sides at idle , goes to normal with throttle input. STFTs are essentially normal at idle or throttle. I think this Is Classic evidence of intake leak, LTFTs exactly the same on both sides though. Runs fine.. so in trying to diagnose the source, using various flammable sprays, I've tried MAF cleaner cuz it says it's flammable- didn't get anywhere, tried electronics cleaner cuz it also said flammable but didn't find anything. The usual spray I read about is carb cleaner but it says not good for plastics and well, our intake is completely plastic. It's CRC carb and throttle body cleaner in particular. Curious what everyone's opinion about that spray for trying to diagnose high fuel trims but yet not mucking up the plastics? I even tried some butane from a little butane torch used for cooking, like for putting a crust on a creme brulee, but didn't find any changes in RPM similar to the previous sprays. As always, your opinions are much appreciated.

Oh, and no codes, not even pending codes

Last edited:

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are the trims -25 or +25. 25 is the max most scanners will read.

neg lt trim is rich. pos is lean. incase theres any confusion with that part. as its backwards lol

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, that should be setting a lean code. being it dont have one it should soon.

if your really dont want to use carb cleaner you can try propane. follow your black plastic vac lines too. they tend to break when coming up on 20 years old. that line up top the manifold to the pcv too. brake booster hose if you have a vacuum booster. that grommet tends to dry rot, and boosters tend to rot out too. but you'd be here talking about a rock hard brake pedal too then lol

OP
OP
afpj

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot about the brake boost line, at the booster itself, will have to check that. For the plastic vac lines, will the one that goes to the purge solenoid set a evap leak code if that was leaking somewhere? I sprayed that one but only chased it to the back of the intake.
Still curious if anyone had used the carb throttle body cleaner and not experience any plastic part deformities that is implied on the spray can warning (Avoid paint and plastics)

thanks!

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's no problem at all, if you use this spray to detect a vacuum leak and spray it into the throttle valve at the front, the gas is so fast in the engine, that it can't affect the plastic parts at all.

If you clean the plastic parts with it, spray it and rub it with a rag, that's a problem. But apart from that, the search for vakuum leak with these sprays usually doesn't work well, because if you have a small leak, you hardly increase the idle speed. You need huge leak to have a relevant idle increase. It is better to do a smoke test. So blow smoke at the front via the throttle valve into the engine and see if it smokes out somewhere. You can also do this yourself with simple tool, means by taking a cigarette and converting an air pump accordingly. There are plenty of instructions on the internet for this.

But if your engine runs to lean, it must not be a intake leak, it can also be a problem with the mass air sensor, an oxygen sensor, even with a clogged cat.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had one vehicle with high fuel trim issue. Exhaust leak at the flange where the collector pipe clamps on.

The gap between the flange and collector was pulling excess air in by Venturi effect.
Excess air was detected by the upstream O2 sensor as a lean condition requiring more fuel in attempt to balance out to where the computer expects it to be.
The computer tired its best to compensate and made injectors work overtime pumping the maximum flow of gas.

Ran super rich! You could smell unburnt fuel at the exhaust!

I loosened the clamp, re-seated the collector pipe (a few love taps wit a BFH on the flare of the collector to make it mate with the flange nice and flat all around), put a jack under the collector to hold it in place tight, then tightened the clamp up real good.

No excess air. O2 sensor no longer thought there was a lean condition and fuel flow at the injectors went back to normal.

Ran fine ever since.

May not be your issue, but this is what I had happen to me one time. Maybe, it will help. Won't hurt to look/listen for exhaust leaks above the upstream O2 sensor... Free anyway.

OP
OP
afpj

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for suggestions. I did replace the MAF with an OEM one from RockAuto, it was a Delphi just like the original, also replace the upstream O2 sensors which had about 100K miles on them, just for preventative maintenance, used denso. This was after the fuel trims already started being wonky so it's been a few months.
, I'm trying to figure a homemade smoker using mineral oil...getting a steady low pressure flow with a compressor is where I'm stuck. Will tackle after my shift in a few days.
I thought about the exhaust flange...I don't hear hissing, and it's both sides simultaneously, so I thought what are the chances that both are doing it same time? Will have to investigate further... I did check to see if the nuts were tight on those studs where the exhaust manifold attaches to the pipe, they're on solid but it could be because of age etc. Thank you!

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had one vehicle with high fuel trim issue. Exhaust leak at the flange where the collector pipe clamps on.

The gap between the flange and collector was pulling excess air in by Venturi effect.
Excess air was detected by the upstream O2 sensor as a lean condition requiring more fuel in attempt to balance out to where the computer expects it to be.
The computer tired its best to compensate and made injectors work overtime pumping the maximum flow of gas.

Ran super rich! You could smell unburnt fuel at the exhaust!

I loosened the clamp, re-seated the collector pipe (a few love taps wit a BFH on the flare of the collector to make it mate with the flange nice and flat all around), put a jack under the collector to hold it in place tight, then tightened the clamp up real good.

No excess air. O2 sensor no longer thought there was a lean condition and fuel flow at the injectors went back to normal.

Ran fine ever since.

May not be your issue, but this is what I had happen to me one time. Maybe, it will help. Won't hurt to look/listen for exhaust leaks above the upstream O2 sensor... Free anyway.
I'm going to have to check this out. Mine runs super rich and I know for a fact I have an exhaust leak at the rear of the y-pipe after having my RMS done. I suppose I could have a leak at the manifold flange, too, since the whole thing came out to pull the transmission. Usually -10 to -20 LTFT on both banks. I just haven't gotten under it to mess with it...lazy as posted in the daily thread.

OP
OP
afpj

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So in chasing down what @MassHoe04 mentioned, I looked at my exhaust manifold to y-pipe connection and noticed only the downstream side has the nut. Is that normal? The upstream side only has the bolt sticking through. I thought there were nuts on both sides? All three studs look like this, on both sides.

Attachments

• PXL_20230401_023123049~2.jpg
    PXL_20230401_023123049~2.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberv96