HID problems...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Arctic98z

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I installed a set of DDM tuning HID's last weekend. They've worked great so far this week until this morning, I noticed the passenger side light wasnt on on my way to work this morning. It was bright enough to I turned the headlights off and figured I would look at it when I got home this evening. Well I'm home now, and went to turn my lights on, and the driver side isnt on either. Any ideas?

2 E L O

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you install a relay harness? If not, that's the first thing you should try...

Conor

"Bob's your Uncle"
Reaction score
Is a relay always required on HID kits? Wouldnt you think they would include them with the kits? Will I need relays for 35 watt bulbs?

OP
OP
Arctic98z

Arctic98z

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It worked fine for a week with out the relay.

So I unplugged the HID and plugged in the factory bulb, just to hang test to see if it worked and it didnt, so I checked the fuses. The low beam fuse was blown, so I plugged the HID's back in, checked all the connections, put a new fuse in and turned the lights on, and it blew the fuse right away. SO, I pulled the HID's completley out, put the factory bulbs back in, and replaced the fuse again, and the driver side light now works, but the passenger side does not. Any ideas why I was blowing fuses? I've searched around and havent seen anything on that...

UofMZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
with the HIDs i would say you have a short somewhere that is causing the fuse to blow. Check the pass bulb and see if maybe it burned out and just a weird coincidence. Try switching the bulb you know works into the pass and see if it works.

Back to the hids i would pull it all out and check all the wiring, somewhere there is probably an exposed wire that might have rubbed something on the truck while driving and cause the fuse to blow.

onebadrado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you really dont need a relay for the 35 watt ones.. atleast ive not had a problem with my ddm low and fog light kit.. they work fine and ive had them for more thatn a month or so now..

2 E L O

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you really dont need a relay for the 35 watt ones.. atleast ive not had a problem with my ddm low and fog light kit.. they work fine and ive had them for more thatn a month or so now..
In most situations you don't...but there are a few scenarios where a relay harness can prevent issues. I have 35W kits in my lows and fogs.... In the rare occasion (but still possible if I'm dicking with it) that the fogs and lows turn on simultaneously, sometimes one of the lows will not ignite. It has also happened when my fogs were on, and then my lows turned on... But 99% (or more) of the time they work flawlessly....but for a little bit of time and 15 bucks...why not install a relay harness and avoid any (normal) issues at all? :shrug:

yukon07Artic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
like 2elo said. 15 dollars can save you alot of headache. Just know that its really hard to troubleshoot a misfire and if you get a harness thats one last thing to worry about. I got a harness on mine and i had my first problem. Drivers side did not light up until i turned off the light and turned it back on. this rarely happens but i would like to make it so that it never happens. anyone have an idea?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
APalmer15