HID Fogs causing strange problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

polobuds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my ballasts are zip tied to the fog lights themselves. they aren't touching any metal, but the rear wiper still jumps or makes a sound everytime i turn them on. I did ziptie the wires against the metal, but that shouldnt be a problem. Anyways, not a big deal but weird

NoPh33rRaCiNg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my ballasts are zip tied to the fog lights themselves. they aren't touching any metal, but the rear wiper still jumps or makes a sound everytime i turn them on. I did ziptie the wires against the metal, but that shouldnt be a problem. Anyways, not a big deal but weird

The wiper thing is completely different than having the buzzing issue when installing HID's. There's a writeup somewhere. The wiper thing did it to me even before I had the HID's in there. The fogs and wiper share same ground I believe thats why.

polobuds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
right. mine doesnt buzz. i never noticed the wiper thing before but now i do. ill check the grounding thing if i remember, or if it stops raining. makes sense though if they share the same ground.

OP
OP

92__silverado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i got a little time and went and cut my fog light ballast down, this cured the issue. I mounted them to some existing wire looms and it seems to be much better. It will still cut out some weak radio stations but not everything like before.

I still think I need to find a better spot and get a new head unit but i ran out of daylight for now.

LilAndy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So this week i installed my HID fogs from DDM. They work great are bright and were pretty easy to install.

Here are my issues, if i am sitting in the truck with it running, listening to the radio and turn the fog lights on the radio goes to static and power runs to the rear wiper enough to make it jump about an inch.

Turn them off and the static goes away. It's almost like a power surge goes through the truck and causes the issues. I did the 6 high mod at the same time and thought this could be causing trouble but after removing it the issue remains.

Do you guys think it could be a bad set of ballast? Maybe to much power running into the fog switch causing the rear wiper to jump?

Thanks for your help.

Is the high 6 mod where the lows highs and fogs can all be on at one time and if so then where did you get it or how did you do it. any help would be great thanks

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
So i got a little time and went and cut my fog light ballast down, this cured the issue. I mounted them to some existing wire looms and it seems to be much better. It will still cut out some weak radio stations but not everything like before.

I still think I need to find a better spot and get a new head unit but i ran out of daylight for now.

Cool. I figured moving them would help.

rob71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Add an extra ground wire from the black wire at one of the washer fluid pumps to the chassis. The rear wiper will stop jumping when you turn on the fog lights. There's a TSB on it.

I just took off my stock fog lights. I'd converted them to HID but they're just about the cheapest factory lights I've ever seen. I put on a pair of Hella 55W amber fog lights - huge difference (way better than the HIDs), but with the extra current draw my rear wiper started jumping again when I turn them on even with the extra ground wire. Oh well, at least I can see now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz