HID Foglights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickTahoe15

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It seems like nobody is putting HIDs in the fog light housings and they do LEDs instead. I have done this on other vehicles with 35w kits pure white. Do modern LEDs such as those from VLEDs really provide you with enough light output? Preferably I would like the output of the fogs to be the same or brighter than stock halogen and would like to hear from those who swapped them out for LEDs if the brightness is on par.

Thank you.

ebelp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The general consensus is that most LED lighting will NOT be as bright as true HID bulbs. Only recently, have they come out with high-powered LED headlight bulbs that can compare to HID bulbs, but they don't make those super high-powered LED's for our small bulb fogs.

I just ordered 5202 LED bulbs from ebay that claim the lumen output is 1,000. I've seen other people's LED fog bulbs are only 600 lumens. True 5k HID bulbs are about 3,000 lumens.

Check out this thread for more pics and info:
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62925

He has the 600 lumens Putco LED bulbs and says they are brighter than the stock halogens.

hosseface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems like nobody is putting HIDs in the fog light housings and they do LEDs instead. I have done this on other vehicles with 35w kits pure white. Do modern LEDs such as those from VLEDs really provide you with enough light output? Preferably I would like the output of the fogs to be the same or brighter than stock halogen and would like to hear from those who swapped them out for LEDs if the brightness is on par.

Thank you.

IMO - you will NEVER get anything in the fogs that is anywhere close to being as bright as the headlights.

The Putco leds I have are bright - probably 3-5x brighter than the factory fogs but nowhere near as good as the headlights. The housings aren't designed for that kind of light output. Unless you do a projector HID in your fogs, don't expect too much there.

ebelp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^Agreed. Our fogs offer modest supplemental lighting, and that's pretty much it. I'd say the LED/HID upgrades are more cosmetic than anything else.

George C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be honest, the fog LED replacements I just installed in my Silverado are basically worthless, even compared to Halogen. They color does look nice though..
In fact, it would take several LED bulbs, I'm guessing 2,000 lumens at 6000K to even be noticeable. LEDs are just not there yet. It is also a fact the 3000K-4300K at the same wattage are brighter than 6000K, but we all like that 6000K color.

HID is still where it's at right now, and I'm happy with them as my headlights over LED, but I personally didn't want to fuss with the installation of ballasts, additional wiring and time for what you get out of fog lights..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alejo2160