Hi Everyone! I am a new owner of a 99' Escalade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
preacherman22

preacherman22

Reaction score
Welcome to TYF from NY!

If you know former owner replaced the plugs only, I'd complete the tune up with new distributor cap and wires so you have a known starting point. My dad always started with those simple things when taking ownership of a "new-to-him" vehicle. I myself try to do the same.

And good luck with your new ride! Sounds like a great buy!
Thank you brother. I appreciate that. Yes. She's nice, alot of new parts on her already and a complete new front suspension. I'll be adding photos/videos soon. I have to pick her up still. Lol. But I'm excited about this forum. Thanks

OP
OP
preacherman22

preacherman22

Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.
Yes sir! Thank you much. Next week I'm bringing her home, I'll post pics and videos. I appreciate y'all and the warm welcomes! God bless you all and I'm excited! Knowledge is power! I agree. Awesome!

grouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just purchased a 99' Cadillac Escalade with a 5.7 Vortec with 240,000 highway miles. I got her for $800. I don't know alot about these trucks. But I do know the 5.7 is a very good motor. I use to own a 97' GMC Sierra Z-71 with the same motor. My new Escalade had alot of work done to it over the last year. The previous owner had put a new complete front-end in it, and stereo system. It's a Texas Truck, so it's CLEAN. He had replaced the spark plugs, but the truck still has a misfire (Running rough). He is a young kid, and I'm thinking since he didn't do the wires or distributor cap/rotor to complete the tune-up, that maybe that's why she's still running rough? She also has a slight lifter tick. Any advice on this truck would be a God send.Thank you.
Perry (Texas)

I had a 2000 Escalade when I joined here. One thing to keep in mind is that the 1999 and 2000 Escalade's are actually GMC Yukon's with Cadillac badging. The first actual Cadillac was the late 2000's. I had a consistent problem with mine in damp weather. It turned out to be a cracked distributor base. The hold down screw part was broken and the crack went through the housing. I had planned to repair it myself, but back issues had me being lazy. It turned out the distributor has to be synchronized with the injectors and I don't have the computer program to do that.

There are VERY few UofY (Youtube) videos on working on these. I had to pull the center console and the only one removing it showed the guy walk away then someone would show up with it n their hand.

Does yours have the barn doors in back? That's what mine had and while rear view was limited, loading and unloading was a lot easier.

OP
OP
preacherman22

preacherman22

Reaction score
I had a 2000 Escalade when I joined here. One thing to keep in mind is that the 1999 and 2000 Escalade's are actually GMC Yukon's with Cadillac badging. The first actual Cadillac was the late 2000's. I had a consistent problem with mine in damp weather. It turned out to be a cracked distributor base. The hold down screw part was broken and the crack went through the housing. I had planned to repair it myself, but back issues had me being lazy. It turned out the distributor has to be synchronized with the injectors and I don't have the computer program to do that.

There are VERY few UofY (Youtube) videos on working on these. I had to pull the center console and the only one removing it showed the guy walk away then someone would show up with it n their hand.

Does yours have the barn doors in back? That's what mine had and while rear view was limited, loading and unloading was a lot easier.
No barn doors. But I appreciate the information. I'm bringing it home in a few days to start the trouble shooting. I will check your recommendations too. I planned on doing the Distributor Cap/Rotor first, after checking the plugs are seated properly, gapped properly and the if the wires were actually replaced. Look for posts by this weekend. Thank you sir.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094