HELP!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NBSTAHOE

Reaction score
Ok this is kinda long…

I have a 02 Tahoe with 2WD. VIN Z.
I wanted to add some power to it, so I started with the TBSS swap. Followed some youtube videos to see what I was up against. Bought all the parts proceeded with the job. When I was done I crank up the truck and it’s making this horrible sucking noise. I’ve replaced the intake gasket twice. TB gasket. IAC. TPS. All new. But I keep throwing a EVAP code and that Noise is embarrassing. On a cold start the idle hangs for about 2 minutes then regulates. The noise goes away. I put it in drive, the noise comes back briefly then goes away. It’s intermittent. And present at low RPMs. Under load it’s not noticeable. But fuel economy sucks. And it won’t go past 3K rpms when going about 50-60. Checked hoses. They’re good. Sprayed carb cleaner. No change in RPMs but that noise is present. Somebody please help.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like a huge vac leak. you got hydro boost brakes? or a vac booster? maybe the port for the vac booster has been left open on the new intake?

whats the code for the evap? maybe you got a broken line to it and thats the vac leak.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use an old nurses stethoscope to pinpoint vacuum leaks. I pulled the end off and stuck the pipes into a short piece of garden hose. Can get right to the spot quickly. Good for exhaust leaks and other stuff too.

OP
OP
N

NBSTAHOE

Reaction score
sounds like a huge vac leak. you got hydro boost brakes? or a vac booster? maybe the port for the vac booster has been left open on the new intake?

whats the code for the evap? maybe you got a broken line to it and thats the vac leak.
Thanks for the response. It’s Vac booster and the code is P0440.

OP
OP
N

NBSTAHOE

Reaction score
I use an old nurses stethoscope to pinpoint vacuum leaks. I pulled the end off and stuck the pipes into a short piece of garden hose. Can get right to the spot quickly. Good for exhaust leaks and other stuff too.
Thanks I’ll look into it to trying to pinpoint it that way. Its like the noise is coming from the CAI. But if I remove it, the noise is coming from the intake itself through the CAI.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the 440 code is a huge vac leak. you need to look a bit harder for a busted line.

OP
OP
N

NBSTAHOE

Reaction score
the 440 code is a huge vac leak. you need to look a bit harder for a busted line
Thanks I’ll recheck the lines today. Some are new required with the swap and some were just fine, but I’ll check again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9

Latest posts