HELP!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
N

NBSTAHOE

Reaction score
That dog is having a grand ole time!

Anyways, if it's not a major hassle to do so have you tried reinstalling the original air box and tube? I didn't pay attention in your original post to see that you have a CAI. Not that it's going to be your issue but I have read about the CAIs causing a lot of random issues with these engines when they are installed. Granted, they are usually from the MAF being installed backwards (doesn't appear to be in your case) or oil from the filter fouling the MAF ... but it would be super easy to confirm / rule out.
Yeah she a good ole girl lol, but the original box has been sold unfortunately…I had this CAI on with the original intake and the noise wasn’t present. Upgraded to this one and it’s been this way since.

nick0789

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was the intake purchased new or used? I'd imagine new since it didn't look dirty. If none of the vacuum lines are compromised, I'd be interested to see if the intake has any hairline cracks in it (if it were my vehicle). I know it's not the most fun thing to pull back off especially since it's been done 3 times now but I'd imagine a crack somewhere in one of the runners, where the throttle body meets, or somewhere else in the intake is a possibility at this point.

I'm not the most well-versed in intakes though, so take it with a grain of salt.

OP
OP
N

NBSTAHOE

Reaction score
Was the intake purchased new or used? I'd imagine new since it didn't look dirty. If none of the vacuum lines are compromised, I'd be interested to see if the intake has any hairline cracks in it (if it were my vehicle). I know it's not the most fun thing to pull back off especially since it's been done 3 times now but I'd imagine a crack somewhere in one of the runners, where the throttle body meets, or somewhere else in the intake is a possibility at this point.

I'm not the most well-versed in intakes though, so take it with a grain of salt.
Hey thanks for the quick responses, this was a used intake. That’s what I was thinking worse case scenario, is there anyway I can pressure test the intake itself? Like will the smoke prove if there was a crack in that location?

nick0789

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The smoke test could tell you if there was an obvious leak; plastic won't expand or contract as readily as metal will, otherwise you'd be able to test it warm and [possibly] get better results. I'm not sure if you'll get enough smoke to find a leak source from a hairline crack but it wouldn't hurt to invest the $2 for a cheap gas station cigar and fill the intake up with smoke.

If the smoke test is inconclusive, it may be in your best interest / sanity to pull the intake again and inspect it thoroughly.

OP
OP
N

NBSTAHOE

Reaction score
The smoke test could tell you if there was an obvious leak; plastic won't expand or contract as readily as metal will, otherwise you'd be able to test it warm and [possibly] get better results. I'm not sure if you'll get enough smoke to find a leak source from a hairline crack but it wouldn't hurt to invest the $2 for a cheap gas station cigar and fill the intake up with smoke.

If the smoke test is inconclusive, it may be in your best interest / sanity to pull the intake again and inspect it thoroughly.
I’ll give that a try tomorrow and post results.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
N

NBSTAHOE

Reaction score
Noises are a real pain to diag over the internet. Is it possible that the noise is actually the aftermarket throttle body whistling? And you are probably going to have performance and mileage issues until you get the truck tuned for the new intake.

This guy had a whistle with the tbss and 4 inch intake tube.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/f...mance-21/whistling-throttle-body-help-534510/
Yeah I’ve read where people have drilled holes in the TB. I’ve also read that for this particular mod that a tune is not required but wouldn’t hurt. I tried everything this guy tried, and some people get a whistle, and some don’t. I’ve replaced IAC and TPS. Acdelco and Delphi parts. Still whistles. Felpro gasket. Adjusting the TB screw will get it to idle fine, give it gas and the sound comes back. It’s raining today, but I’m really thinking bout pulling off the intake and starting all over. :(

MSI_Mark

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't believe that drilling the TB will do anything for this issue other than increase your idle speed. In the shop we would use a smoke machine to diagnose the leak, if any. Here is a simple smoke machine DIY build. If you are getting a 440 trouble code, Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P0440 stands for “Evaporative Emission Control System Malfunction – Large Leak.” You may have pulled a line loose during installation or something is cracked. I don't think that you are looking for a hairline crack, I'm guessing that it is something BIG

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m betting there’s a vacuum line disconnected somewhere.

OP
OP
N

NBSTAHOE

Reaction score
I don't believe that drilling the TB will do anything for this issue other than increase your idle speed. In the shop we would use a smoke machine to diagnose the leak, if any. Here is a simple smoke machine DIY build. If you are getting a 440 trouble code, Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P0440 stands for “Evaporative Emission Control System Malfunction – Large Leak.” You may have pulled a line loose during installation or something is cracked. I don't think that you are looking for a hairline crack, I'm guessing that it is something BIG
I’ve decided to pull the intake again and see if it’s something I missed, it’s just been raining 3 in a row. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9