Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LipsyTipsy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
CE307832-C16A-47E2-9D9B-4F7EA61165F5.jpeg
Went to start my 2016 Yukon, and it wouldn’t. I purchased this vehicle 5 months ago and had no issues. Currently has 42,400 miles bought it when it had 37,000 all the maintenance was up to date . Battery life should be fine, i did test it and it had 10.47 DC volts. Then a screen appeared. Which will be posted, what is going on? Currently can’t move the car and yes i have tried jumping it.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
10.47 volts is pretty low, these typically start giving low battery warnings before then, I would remove the battery cables and clean the terminals and ground wire connection for starters, while you are doing that charge the battery up

OP
OP
L

LipsyTipsy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
10.47 volts is pretty low, these typically start giving low battery warnings before then, I would remove the battery cables and clean the terminals and ground wire connection for starters, while you are doing that charge the battery up

Took off the battery cables now charging the battery. Went up to 11.5 DC. Hopefully this issue can be resolved home.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'm not completely sure but I think you need a minimum of 11.6v but that's not even the important part, the important part is the amp's the battery may or may not be putting out, if it has a bad cell it may show enough volts but won't have the amps needed, if your voltage dropped below 11v it should have given you a "service charging system" message on the dic screen.
from what I understand if the battery is reading below 12v at any time it's considered dead and should be replaced.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when you do get it started, check the voltage right away, it should be reading at least 13v+ with the engine running (this indicates the alternator is working at the least)

OP
OP
L

LipsyTipsy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
when you do get it started, check the voltage right away, it should be reading at least 13v+ with the engine running (this indicates the alternator is working at the least)
Got it started. Read at 14V. Hopefully it stays there due for service in 1,000 miles.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got it started. Read at 14V. Hopefully it stays there due for service in 1,000 miles.
in that case I would go by any autozone, orielly's, sears, etc so they can test your battery for you, it shouldn't have just died out of the blue unless you left the key on and radio going or key on and lights on, otherwise everything normally shut's off after 10-15 minutes if it was accidentally left on

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with Doubelieve. Take to battery to one of those auto parts places and have the battery load tested. This will simulate a truck starting condition and measure the actual cranking amps available in the battery. Voltage is a key indicator for normal running operation, but amps is the key indicator for starting the truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645