Help wiring something

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ILLEGAL REGAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
below is how it's currently wired(not by me) and I want to do it correctly with a relay. Can it be done with 1 or will I need to use a 2nd relay for the dump valve?

schematic1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

OmarR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you give a little more info on your setup?

Is it an airbag/hydraulic setup?

Is that a 3 way switch? (On Compressor, OFF, On Valve)

Or a 2 way switch? (Compressor On or Valve On)

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Yea so garde from the pic I'd say relay on orange and does the red have a fuse? If not the add a fuse there

OP
OP
I

ILLEGAL REGAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3-way switch, on/off/dump
Air not fluid
Wires from comp motor are 14ga
Wire from valve is 22ga
And the switch is about 1/4" squared

No fuse, I pulled the wiring to rewire and will 110% add one.
I don't see re-wiring it the way it was the best idea.

OmarR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know how many amps the compressor draws, but I would definitely run that off a relay.

The valve is probably just a change of state solenoid (open to close vs. close to open) and you *could* probably get away without a relay on that, but for the couple of $ that a relay costs and for peace of mind, I would probably run one anyways.

I am assuming that your switch is a heavy duty switch, but I wouldn't even run 12v to it, I would just do all grounds, keeping the amperage to basically .1 amp, and let the relays do all the work (like they are designed to do):

Compressor Relay:

86 & 30 - 12V fused
87 - 12V side of compressor
85 - toggle switch

Dump Valve Relay:

86 & 30 - 12V fused
87 - 12 side of Valve
85 - toggle switch

Center wire of switch - Ground

This way, you don't have to run 12V wires from your switch, through your firewall to your compressor/valve, assuming your switch is mounted inside.

That's just my opinion, though.

OP
OP
I

ILLEGAL REGAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like something I'm looking for. Center of switch to ground, is that necessary for it to function?

OmarR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like something I'm looking for. Center of switch to ground, is that necessary for it to function?

Yes.

Whatever is wired to the center of the switch is the trigger. In your current setup, 12V (red wire) triggers either orange(compressor) or yellow(dump valve) depending on which way you flip the switch. I apologize if all that was already obvious to you.

I would re-wire the center of the switch to ground, then the other 2 sides of the switch would give that same ground signal to either 85 of the compressor relay or 85 of the dump relay. Since the coil of the relay requires very little amperage, you won't burn out the switch. You could even change out to a different 3 way switch if you don't like the way your current one looks.

The relays will handle the load and can give out 30-40 amps to the compressor and valve. You can even wire just one big gauge wire to the battery (fused), and than split it off to 86 & 30 of both relays to keep it simple.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bl74

Latest posts