[Help] No reverse?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jujaku

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
02 tahoe 4.8 with 250k miles.

This morning, i pulled my tahoe from my driveway then started my commute.
while making right turn out of street to main road, i heard little noise.
i thought i stepped on metal piece on road.
right after, truck ran little different but couldn't tell exactly how different.
thought it could be rear tire so pulled over and quick visual checked. all seems to be alright.
so i decided to to on, but instantly found it has no reverse?
shifter is in R position but it acts like in neutral.
decided to go to work for now.
at 50 mph, rev is little higher than usual. around 2.2k
yeah, my tranny is old and usually there is little shock/impact i can tell it shifts from 1st to 2nd but it doesn't do it no more.
i wonder if it skips 2nd and to directly to 3rd but no way i could tell that while on busy morning street.

where should i start to look??

old tranny, owned it only 1.5 year and not sure previous owner did some tranny jobs or not.
when putting in reverse, there was some bang, and little shock when it goes to 2nd from 1st only in moderate throttle. (easy throttle or wot, that shock is hardly noticeable)

anyone shares your wisdom and insights?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something gave way inside but she's still soldiering on. Don't know enough myself to point to something specific other than to say I reckon it's time for an overhaul.

OP
OP
J

jujaku

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
the issue i had was very similar to this..

8. 1st and 3rd only, no 2,4 or R:
Sunshell is fractured or splines are sheared off. Transmission must be removed and rebuilt. Try not to run or drive the car or further damage could result.

it says not to drive but had to drive it for almost an hour.
at 3rd gear, the truck went up to 40 mph. RPM goes almost to 3K then shift. (pretty sure it was skipping 2nd gear)
didn't push any hard but super gently...i was able to come home then go to mechanic.

could not afford $2K and 3+ days for rebuilding it for such truck with 250K miles.
found local (DFW area ) shop for rebuilt unit. he put it for $950 with some warranty.... (600 for tranny, 350 for labor, fluid, tx etc.)
he said he put update kits and tranny comes with TQC. (no way to confirm what he said ....)
it took him 1.5 days and so far, so good but we will see...