help me decide!! higher milage escalade, or creampuff yukon SLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carbed87

Reaction score
I will be doing a 3/5 or 4/6 on whichever I buy. Looking for first hand opinions. here are the two vehicles im interested in:

08 Yukon SLT fully loaded (literally) 60k miles, white diamond tri-coat with tan interior (im not crazy about that...would like black)

07 Escalade again, fully loaded with Nav and sunroof 99k miles, black with tan

both are the same price, come from reputable owners who take care of their cars. Just cant decide if I want to have almost exactly what I want (escalade) but with higher miles, or get a Yukon with the selectable t-case (so better gas mileage) and super low miles.

Condition of both is the same. If putting an escalade dash in the Yukon was as easy as it was with my NBS Tahoe It would be a no brainer lol.

Any help would be appreciated guys.

Thanks

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would go low mileage, simply due to the AFM issues of those years...the 60,000 miles is just under when issues start to arise, and will be able to do some mods to avoid the issues.

OP
OP
carbed87

carbed87

Reaction score
What kind of stuff can you do for the active fuel management. I didn't really know that that is an issue is it like the Pontiac G8 where the lifters can fail

OP
OP
carbed87

carbed87

Reaction score
This one did make a little bit of valve train noise, where the 6.2 in the caddy was dead silent.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
White diamond is a good look. Select-able tcase is something that I would love.

I'd have a tough time passing up on that black esky though.

I assume you are familiar with the difficulties of keeping black paint looking good? (My Jeep is black.) It's tough.

Both of them are closing in on a decade old, and either could give you problems sooner rather than later. Which would you enjoy driving/owning/looking @ more?

OP
OP
carbed87

carbed87

Reaction score
Well I love the escalade looks and drive a black nbs crew Sierra Denali so I'm familiar with care. I would love driving the escalade because the interior is that much more special.

With that said, the Yukon felt tighter, and the drivetrain combo would yield less problems since it's not AWD (my last two gmfs' I had to put a front diff in)

It's for the wife, she has a killer G8 right now with low miles and the sport interior but she wants a truck again and doesn't really want another TBSS. I have to give it to her... She has good taste in cars, but these decisions are never easy unless it's just a stupid killer deal.

Both trucks are around the $20.5-21k range

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It comes down to what you can live without and options you have to have. Both are nice rides. My dream car is an esky and in a heartbeat if I have the money and the price is right I'd choose the esky. Personally as a detailer I'll never own a black vehicle. Its just too much work to keep clean. So that for me would be a deciding factor against the esky. But maybe not for you. In my opinion I'm not a fan the 5.3 motor and the idea of AFM does not appeal to me. I'm driving a full size suv for the power. So the 6.2 in the esky is a much more desireable option. As much as it would be nice to have a selectable transfer case I have to say I really like my awd system and I know first hand from driving a couple that belong to clients, the awd in the caddy is fantastic

OP
OP
carbed87

carbed87

Reaction score
Ya I had my own little detailing gig for about 3 years. Somehow I still end up with black lol. If I had to choose I'd go quicksilver on black, that's a good setup.

So let me get this straight, the 6.2's DO NOT have AFM??

sk1dm4rk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2007 does not have AFM.

My vote is for the Escalade. That is not enough of a disparity in the mileage. When I saw the subject of this post, I was thinking the Escalade would have 150K+

As you can see there are many examples around here that show that this generation is pretty robust. The common problems that all will experience cost the same no matter the platform. (e.g., you are going to need to: keep an eye on the air suspension (rear), replace the front struts when they stiffen up, replace the wheel bearings, fix the busted motor mounts, etc...) Based on the mileage, the Escalade may need that stuff now, the Yukon may need it next year or the following, etc., but make no mistake, it will need it somewhere around 100K based on the trend we see here.)

Pick the one you want to sit in for the next few years and realize that there are many of us on this board that can assist you with any issues that arise on either that you choose.

Good Luck.

Regards,

Mark