Help- lights- stabilitytrak, stability control, abs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RockGMC2008

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all!
I'm new here - only mechanical basics for me-

Currently took a road trip to help my mom-
Had My GMC 2008- 139,000 mile- yukon xl checked through, oil change, tires balanced before leaving home.

20 miles into trip- After balance still had a little shake felt like one of tire a was not balanced well. No light on no sounds

600 miles in - no sounds- riding same- light came on - stabilitytrak, stability control, ABS. Drove 10 mile to closest GMC dealer- when slowly down on interstate truck felt like bucking - bucked when pulling into parking stop at dealer as well.

Was told by service department- abs /wheel speed senior was bad - causing light
They fixed that and I had them rebalance the tires. Asked them to check it for any other concerns.

They stated no other concerns.

Back on road- 75 miles in- light came on- grinding sound like unbalanced washer machine -

Towed remained of trip to closet GMC dealer by my moms.

Dealer service dept - states oh my God that thing is terrifying- completely locked up pulling in to shop. Metal on metal-

Needs both axels- and entire hub assembly replaced. I told them if that's the case to replace both hubs and both axels.

Began work today - dealer states when they took off driver side front wheel hud literally fell off and was crumbling. Terrifying- stating I was very close to my tire coming completely off on the interstate

Endangering myself and everyone else on the road.

* Still need to get me and mom to my marine son's house and back home. Another 1500 mile ish.

?s

Does all this sound right?
Is it really possible for all that to happen in 75 miles from first dealership working on it?

I'm I crazy or should the first dealership service department have been able to see warning and damage signs ?

Appreciate any feedback?

Thank you in advance

Also I a female so often get the stupid - calls oh you really need to replace your wipers and other stupid crap. So I try to educate myself as must a possible

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all!
I'm new here - only mechanical basics for me-

Currently took a road trip to help my mom-
Had My GMC 2008- 139,000 mile- yukon xl checked through, oil change, tires balanced before leaving home.

20 miles into trip- After balance still had a little shake felt like one of tire a was not balanced well. No light on no sounds

600 miles in - no sounds- riding same- light came on - stabilitytrak, stability control, ABS. Drove 10 mile to closest GMC dealer- when slowly down on interstate truck felt like bucking - bucked when pulling into parking stop at dealer as well.

Was told by service department- abs /wheel speed senior was bad - causing light
They fixed that and I had them rebalance the tires. Asked them to check it for any other concerns.

They stated no other concerns.

Back on road- 75 miles in- light came on- grinding sound like unbalanced washer machine -

Towed remained of trip to closet GMC dealer by my moms.

Dealer service dept - states oh my God that thing is terrifying- completely locked up pulling in to shop. Metal on metal-

Needs both axels- and entire hub assembly replaced. I told them if that's the case to replace both hubs and both axels.

Began work today - dealer states when they took off driver side front wheel hud literally fell off and was crumbling. Terrifying- stating I was very close to my tire coming completely off on the interstate

Endangering myself and everyone else on the road.

* Still need to get me and mom to my marine son's house and back home. Another 1500 mile ish.

?s

Does all this sound right?
Is it really possible for all that to happen in 75 miles from first dealership working on it?

I'm I crazy or should the first dealership service department have been able to see warning and damage signs ?

Appreciate any feedback?

Thank you in advance

Also I a female so often get the stupid - calls oh you really need to replace your wipers and other stupid crap. So I try to educate myself as must a possible
That hub looks original to me, so I would say the second dealer gave you accurate information. Perhaps the first dealer replaced the hub on the other side?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is definitely shot! They were correct in their assessment. Also, your ABS stuff was caused by the tone ring either contacting the sensor, or moving out of range. By the looks of it, it was hungry and ate the sensor for lunch.

As for the axles being bad, that's hard to say. If the hub was moving all around, it could have put extra strain on the CV joint. Luckily axles are affordable and easy to replace.

All around an easy, straightforward repair. Any competent mechanic should be able to knock that out in short order.

OP
OP
R

RockGMC2008

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That hub looks original to me, so I would say the second dealer gave you accurate information. Perhaps the first dealer replaced the hub on the other side?
First dealer states there was no damage and replaced the abs/wheel speed sensor and balanced tires.

OP
OP
R

RockGMC2008

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

20230523_223018.jpg

Attachments

• 20230525_163924.jpg
    20230525_163924.jpg
    363.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230525_163924.jpg
    20230525_163924.jpg
    363.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230525_163806.jpg
    20230525_163806.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP
R

RockGMC2008

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That is definitely shot! They were correct in their assessment. Also, your ABS stuff was caused by the tone ring either contacting the sensor, or moving out of range. By the looks of it, it was hungry and ate the sensor for lunch.

As for the axles being bad, that's hard to say. If the hub was moving all around, it could have put extra strain on the CV joint. Luckily axles are affordable and easy to replace.

All around an easy, straightforward repair. Any competent mechanic should be able to knock that out in short order.
Thank you - it's currently at the second shop.

I just can't believe that the first shop changed the wheel speed sensor and balanced the tires and could not see any warning signs of this? And all that damage happened in 75mile after leaving the first shop? Is my thinking wrong?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2