Help Diagnose

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

attorney

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey, new to forum, glad to be here.

I've got an '02 Tahoe LT 5.3L 2WD with Autoride. 91,000 miles, new tires on stock wheels.

I've had the truck for a month now, and I've noticed a front-end problem that drives me crazy. 3 mechanics have said nothing's wrong.

Here's the problem: when going over rough, broken pavenment or highway expansion joints, there is a chatter, maybe even a shimmy, in the front-end. It's harsh, feeling like the front of the truck is crashing down over the pavement as the front suspension rebounds. The back feels fine, very smooth.

I've been trolling the board for a while now, and I've seen recommendations for some suspension wear issues like check the tie rods and the steering box tends to go out, but wondering if anybody has experienced this and been what did you do about it?

thanks for your help.

vatahoelt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
intermediate steering shaft?

where do you feel the vibration?

OP
OP
A

attorney

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
where is it

hard to answer that question. I'd have to say i don't feel it that much in the steering wheel; so maybe the steering gear isn't the place to start. Besides, with recirculating ball, isn't that less prone to wear than rack and pinion?

Have you ever seen axle hop in an old car or truck on the highway? That's what it feels like to me, coming from the front suspension, but i can't confirm that's what's happening.

thanks.

NoChrome

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can jack up the front of the truck till the wheels are off the ground and wiggle the wheels if they move any there is something loose, ball joint, tie rod end ect... while its up there look at your front suspension and make sure its basicaly symetrical, same bushings on both sides, same angles that sorta thing. Also check your shocks, they may be shot or have lost thier bushings. When you check the bushings make sure they are firm, if their squishy their bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz