Help 5.3 keeps throwing serpentine bel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

N2snow2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2001 suburban keeps throwing belt does it when my son drives I replaced the tensioner and belt what else could it be any ideas.....I've driven it for a week and nothing but he called today and said it did it again

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
one of the accessories has a slow bearing causing it to slip and get tossed under really HIGH engine loads.

Tell him drive it like a normal person driving a big body suburban and not a vette.
Should be obvious whats going on.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
one of the accessories has a slow bearing causing it to slip and get tossed under really HIGH engine loads.

Tell him drive it like a normal person driving a big body suburban and not a vette.
Should be obvious whats going on.

x2 (on both parts :D)

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He is hot rodding it.

Make sure you have the correct belt on it. There is 2 different lengths for a 105a or 130a alternator. The 130a is a longer belt and would have less tension if installed on the wrong alternator.

OP
OP
N

N2snow2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update still having problem

Ok I thought my son was driving hard maybe so so for the last 2 weeks I've been driving the suburban no problems I thought opened hood this morning to fin the edge of belt starting to shred I know I have thr right belt replaced the tensioner no luck I bought the expensive belt and the cheap ones this is the fith belt in 2 months yep 5 ready to give up it's not a nice of truck to keep throwing money at it belts and towing .......

Jons2005tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i would check all your pulleys with the belt off. check the pulleys to see if they are clean and with no damage, check the tensioner (even though its new) for cracks or looseness in the housing. with the belt on look across all the pulleys to make sure they are all straight. the problem may only be slight so check it all twice.

OP
OP
N

N2snow2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i would check all your pulleys with the belt off. check the pulleys to see if they are clean and with no damage, check the tensioner (even though its new) for cracks or looseness in the housing. with the belt on look across all the pulleys to make sure they are all straight. the problem may only be slight so check it all twice.

The shredding of the belts started be for I changed the tensioner I've noticed the power steering pump is leaking have to re fill it very 4-5 days could this be a problem when it gets low could that be tearing the belt somehow I was gonna try to replace everything Sunday water pump power steering pump and alt . Got too be one of those right.....

Reaction score
I agree with Jons check alignment of the pulleys especially the power steering pump pulley its pressed on and can be sliding out the center hole should be flush with the power steering pump shaft... also might what to remove the belt and spin the pulleys to see if the smooth and have a true straight spin and no wobbling is present

OP
OP
N

N2snow2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We'll worked all day on this thing took everything of water pump fine power steering had a hose leak fixed all pullies spin perfect all looked like they line up fine the guy at the parts store said there's two different belt so I got both at a toon of $90 for both I could only get one belt to fit it seams to be working fine for now any I've owned this thing for ten years and have decided I'm done it's listed on craigslist in desmoines $2500 lifted suburban...I'll stick with my yukon. :Stupid Me:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AEHaas

Latest posts